London to Seahouses -anywhere worth stopping en-route

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of driving to seahouses - is there anywhere that is worth stopping en-route from London? Obviously NOT a long diversion the drive is already quite long.
Or would any vote for public transport instead?

Last edited:
A great idea - also Rutland water is en-route as well - not sure how good that is though

They have an Osprey project there. Take a look tommorow morning..ie in daylight.There's one one on the nest now. It's at Manton Bay,Rutland Water. I' travelled there from home and did a B&B so I had two days. You have to hope they fly near the hide because the man-made nests..ie the platforms for the nests, are 180m out across the water. My 100-400mm lem on a 7D11 didn't have enough reach so I enjoyed looking at them through my bins. A photographer in the hide had a 600mm lens with an extender and he said he just about managed a decent shot.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxN8Sb_xHp0

Last edited:
Pop into Beamish Living Museum or Durham , both just off the A1 and not a long diversion from your route or the Railway Museum at Shildon if those sorts of things are of interest

How long are you up for? You could easily fill a few days with some of the suggestions already. But either in passing distance or close by you have:

Whitby (NY coast)
Saltburn (NY/Middlesbrough coast)
Craster/Beadnell (Northumberland coast)
Bamburgh Castle (Northumberland coast)
Dunstanburgh Castle (Northumberland coast)
Walkworth Castle (Northumberland coast)
Beamish Museum (10 minutes from the A1)
Richmond Castle (20 minutes from the A1)
Barnard Castle (20 minutes from the A1)

How long are you up for? You could easily fill a few days with some of the suggestions already. But either in passing distance or close by you have:

Whitby (NY coast)
Saltburn (NY/Middlesbrough coast)
Craster/Beadnell (Northumberland coast)
Bamburgh Castle (Northumberland coast)
Dunstanburgh Castle (Northumberland coast)
Walkworth Castle (Northumberland coast)
Beamish Museum (10 minutes from the A1)
Richmond Castle (20 minutes from the A1)
Barnard Castle (20 minutes from the A1)
It would be maximum 3 days I don't think I can get more leave and I am really thinking of places between Northumberland and London to make the long journey better.
I am wondering about getting the bus - I don' t know how many there are nor how reliable.

I live just outside Richmond (North Yorkshire) It's a lovely place to visit and not too large. Just off the A1M and a 1 hour stop over would allow you to see the market place and castle, from there a short walk down to the 'Falls' on the River Swale. Very photogenic.

I also agree The Beamish Living Museum is fantastic but to do it justice, entry Adult £27.95 Senior (£21.25) you would need to spend a least 1/2 a day there !

We spent a week in Seahouses last year, lovely place but parking can be a nightmare when it's busy. Many of the 'quaint' streets and houses were not designed for cars.
If you like walking ? a lovely walk from Seahouses thru the 'sand dunes' to Bamburgh castle, another must see. Enjoy.

The "last bit" is a 50 mile service bus from Newcastle, could easily take as long as the train to Newcastle from London. You'd also be at the mercy of the rural bus "service" while you're there - in my village that is 8am-6pm only and maximum frequency is two-hourly (and if you're paying about £8 for a 15 mile journey) - it very much isn't London

Agreed, public transport isn't great once you are out of the city centre, you are definitely besides driving. Even if you got the train to Newcastle, you would be best hiring a car for a day or two.

Agreed, public transport isn't great once you are out of the city centre, you are definitely besides driving. Even if you got the train to Newcastle, you would be best hiring a car for a day or two.
Although I did it by bus about 11 years ago so it was possible.
The "last bit" is a 50 mile service bus from Newcastle, could easily take as long as the train to Newcastle from London. You'd also be at the mercy of the rural bus "service" while you're there - in my village that is 8am-6pm only and maximum frequency is two-hourly (and if you're paying about £8 for a 15 mile journey) - it very much isn't London
The nearest train stations are either Alnmouth or Berwick-upon-Tweed not Newcastle

But you are looking at about an hour on the bus from each of those to get to Seahouses.
The problem I have with buses is not the hour - it is can I trust it? Of course living in London there are only two reliable ways of getting from a to b - walking or cycling everything else can go very very wrong.

The problem I have with buses is not the hour - it is can I trust it? Of course living in London there are only two reliable ways of getting from a to b - walking or cycling everything else can go very very wrong.
They are fairly reliable (as in they don't really get delayed in traffic), however one breakdown will see a long wait for a replacement service. To be honest if I was spending 3 days out of the capital and travelling all this way by train, I'd do one day in Edinburgh, one day in York/Durham and then one day at the coast such as Seahouses/Bamburgh/Holy Island (via bus/hire car of your choice).

Thank you - annoyingly the cheapest train arrives at the wrong time for any bus! Although it is only £15 pounds which is not a lot in the scheme of things
And not every train will stop at the smaller stations either as they'll be straight through to Edinburgh! :)

On the plus side I'll give you a wave as you pass as the east coast mainline runs by the end of my garden!

And not every train will stop at the smaller stations either as they'll be straight through to Edinburgh! :)

On the plus side I'll give you a wave as you pass as the east coast mainline runs by the end of my garden!
I think the train might lose to the car.

Back