Lonesome Curlew - REWORKED

Edit My Images
No
My normal style is for birds much bigger in the frame (too big at times I will admit) so I thought I would try something different - not sure if this works or not so would be interested in what others think.
7D + 300/2.8 + 2x tc.

EDIT: REWORKED IN POST # 10

curlew4.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe, to adhere to the ROTs (vertically), it could be slightly further left. Also, while it gives the impression of space and desolation, the sun-drenched field actually looks a rather nice place to be, especially given the weather we have here now :D

A 'tog I chat to who does this sort of thing very well is Craig Jones. Worth having a look at his images to get ideas.

Maybe, to adhere to the ROTs (vertically), it could be slightly further left. Also, while it gives the impression of space and desolation, the sun-drenched field actually looks a rather nice place to be, especially given the weather we have here now :D

A 'tog I chat to who does this sort of thing very well is Craig Jones. Worth having a look at his images to get ideas.
Thanks Pete, I will have a look at Craig's images - are they in a TP gallery under his name?
EDIT: I have just found Craig's website - some very inspirational stuff there.

Last edited:
The field ,especially the dead stem seem a distraction for me so I would go with a letterbox crop with the bird a bit further to the left.
Mind you you would end up with your usual close up then...lol

Keith (y)

The field ,especially the dead stem seem a distraction for me so I would go with a letterbox crop with the bird a bit further to the left.
Mind you you would end up with your usual close up then...lol

Keith (y)

I think the idea is good.
The image is spoiled by that dead plant on the right which I find distracting.
Yep, I think you are right guys, that dead plant is a distraction. Thanks for the feedback.

Roy, this I like a lot but personally I would crop a little from the bottom.

I really like this - different to a lot of what you often see on here and agree with others above about the crop/dead plant.

Back