Long Exposure Help Needed

Name
K
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

long exposures are something I have not really done yet but would really love to get into, you know, the streaming red tail lights or movement of the stars in the sky etc..

Anyhow I seem to be struggling a bit with lens/film speed/shutter speed setup.

Do I need a lens with a smaller aperture than f22?

Is it best to use Shutter Priority mode, (Tv)?

Which would be the best film & film speed to go for?

I did try a couple of experimental shots of flowing water with one of my cameras by holding the shutter open for 4 seconds but the outcome was an overexposed frame and it had actually bled into half the preceeding and superceeding frames, (possibly a camera fault).

Any tips would be welcome.., :)

Hi,

long exposures are something I have not really done yet but would really love to get into, you know, the streaming red tail lights or movement of the stars in the sky etc..

Anyhow I seem to be struggling a bit with lens/film speed/shutter speed setup.

Do I need a lens with a smaller aperture than f22?

No you should be fine

Is it best to use Shutter Priority mode, (Tv)?

I use Av (and let the shutter sort itself out) of just go fully M

Which would be the best film & film speed to go for?

Lowest ISO posible

I did try a couple of experimental shots of flowing water with one of my cameras by holding the shutter open for 4 seconds but the outcome was an overexposed frame and it had actually bled into half the preceeding and superceeding frames, (possibly a camera fault).

This is probably different, light trails will be under low light conditions by their very nature, so you can get long shutter speeds without blowing it out. But if you tried the water shot in daylight, you've got very little/no chance of doing it well without the use of ND filters and a tripod.

Any tips would be welcome.., :)

Obviously the red bits are my reply :)

not trying to teach granny to suck eggs here , but you do have to get the exposure correct ,,,you cant just say , oh i'll give it a four secong exposure if you haven't got the rest right ,,,the conbination of film speed shutter speed and aperture ,,,

not trying to teach granny to suck eggs here , but you do have to get the exposure correct ,,,you cant just say , oh i'll give it a four secong exposure if you haven't got the rest right ,,,the conbination of film speed shutter speed and aperture ,,,

Not sucking eggs here, lol.

Yeah, I did all the basic requirements, just didn't put it in the post.

Cheers ;)

Back