Long exposure river stuff

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Had another lazy day at the river near where we are staying in the Cairngorms, it was more of a picnic outing really but I took the camera anyway, very peaceful indeed, felt like a right old giffer!

Nothing much to say about the shots really, I was trying to get different compositions in the same stretch of water, I could have done with being on the other side of the water but I resisted the urge to cross it. I quite liked the tones in the mono shot but probably a bit slack in terms or composition. CC from the community are always welcome :)

Stream-taken-using-a-long-exposure-so-capture-silky-water-flowing-over-the-rocks-IMG_5364-Edit.jpg

Stream-taken-using-a-long-exposure-so-capture-silky-water-flowing-over-the-rocks-taken-in-Black-and-White-IMG_5382-Edit.jpg

Love the tones and the leaf on the rock in the first one.
Both have a lovely effect on the water but i prefer the composition on the second one.

Thanks for that Toothie, I think there might be a little too much rock in the bottom left on the first one, I could crop from that lower left corner but it would move the leaf a bit too low. The annoying thing is I half knew this when I was taking it but there you go.

Ta for looking :)

Both are sublime shots imo :)
#1 stands out and I also think it's the leaf that adds that little something extra to the shot.
The only tiny eeny niggle I have is that the applied vignette in #1 blends into the lower lit area at the bottom right of the shot, and makes it look ever so slightly unbalanced....if that makes sense.

First one really made me go wow. I think it's a genuinely beautiful photo, I'd happily have that on my wall.

Thanks guys. Whenever I do wide angle long exposure shots I get quite a hefty vignette that needs to be taken care of in Lightroom sometimes I just leave it in but I know what you mean by the bottom right.

The exposure times were 60 seconds for the first and 30 for the second.

Thanks for the comments guys

Minority of one... I really like No 1: apart from the very staged-looking leaf.

Thanks guys, some good points about the comps folks, know what you mean about the distance to the leaf FB I was probably overcomplicating things trying to include too many elements.

The leaf was over acting a little Ned, he'd spent 3 hours in make up for that shot too! :)

Lovely photos, but I'm still to be convinced about the long exposure trick used on water to make it look smokey. I just don't get it. Everybody seems to do it, but do you always want that ethereal look when photographing water?

Sorry Pete, it sounds like I'm picking on you. I'm not, and in the context you've used it, then it works, but I'd like to know why peeps always seem to use that look on water.

It's a fair point Mrs C. It can be a bit overused, I've done some recently as I was looking at some great black and white long exposures that I was using as inspiration but I know what you mean.

However When I look at the test shots I use just to gauge exposure before adding the 10 stop (usually say 1/25 of a sec) the frozen water just looks a bit snap-shot-y with nothing to hold a viewers interest, This is fine for a mum and dad at malham cove shot but not so great for landscapes. That's not to say freeze frame shots of water can't work, I keep thinking of the Chinese olympic diving shots with the spray.

This is only my opinion, no more or less valid than anyone elses, thanks for your thoughts folks :)

Yes, valid opinion of course. I think it would be really interesting though, if everybody who posted a long exposure water shot, also posted a freeze frame version of the same shot for comparison.

Number 1 does it for me, I like number 2 but find it a bit dark for my liking
love the colours in number 1

Back