Long exposure using Sparklers

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
I have lots of left over fireworks from November 5th and I'd like to have a go at shooting 2 different things..... Light trails with the sparkler and also I'd like to try shooting the sparkler close up with everything in focus

My question is has anyone here tried this before? Do you have any tips or advice? The lenses I own are listed in my signature, what settings or lenses would you suggest?

Cheers
Dean

I think Matt (MWHCVT) has done a few. A few posts down on the list...

Options are:
- tripod
- timer or wireless remote shutter
- Something in the background (like a church or other building or a statue)
- large f# (f16?)
- use a torch to focus around where you want to twirl, then switch to manual to hold it there
- Time for 2s + or for as long as you can hold the remote button down (experiment).
- some cable to tie to sparklers to enable a swinging motion easier
- dark clothes/balaclava (to hide skin)

Also might be an idea to have someone fairly well built keeping an eye on your camera whilst you twirl the sparklers... or have an assistant sparkle whilst you take different shots.

I think Matt (MWHCVT) has done a few. A few posts down on the list...

Options are:
- tripod
- timer or wireless remote shutter
- Something in the background (like a church or other building or a statue)
- large f# (f16?)
- use a torch to focus around where you want to twirl, then switch to manual to hold it there
- Time for 2s + or for as long as you can hold the remote button down (experiment).
- some cable to tie to sparklers to enable a swinging motion easier
- dark clothes/balaclava (to hide skin)

Also might be an idea to have someone fairly well built keeping an eye on your camera whilst you twirl the sparklers... or have an assistant sparkle whilst you take different shots.

Indeed I have (y) the most recent efforts can be seen HERE It's all good sound advice that has been given above (y) but depending on the amount of ambient light about you may need to open up your aperture a little to get the exposure :D

Matt
MWHCVT

Back