Long lens help required

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Im will very soon be in the position of looking for a long lens for my Nikon D300.At the moment i have the Sigma 120-300 and 1.4 TC. I will be looking to buy one for the following for wildlife/birding etc.I find that the Sigma and 1.4tc isnt the best for smaller birds and often have to crop images, on larger birds/animals its fine for me.I have full camouflage gear and im learning some fieldcraft as i go which has helped some.

Im thinking of either a Nikon 400, 500 or 600 mm lens.I think the VR options will be to expensive for me but i should be looking at a AF-S II ( 2nd hand ).I have a tripod and monopod but prefer the mono as its easier to carry around with me.

Which one would be best with a tc--the 400 with a x2 tc or the 500/600 with a 1.4tc?

Which is the lightest and easiest to carry around?

I know the 400 is a 2.8 and the others ar an F4 but which takes a tc best.I will be keeping the 120-300 as well so its to compliment this lens.

You thoughts would be great and any images with the 400 and 2x tc or the 500/600 with a 1.4tc would be great.

Hi Markyboy, I use the Canon 600mm F4 with a 1.4tc and that coupled with the crop of the 1d mk3 gives me around 1092mm which is excellent for small birds. The iq is good also.
I know a lot of people use the 400 F2.8 coupled with 1.4 and in your case 1.7tc's but at the end of the day you need to try some out, Perhaps hire for a week or two.

Thanks for the reply.I know that they are heavy and that the 500 f4 is the lightest of the bunch but would love to hear someone`s comparison of the 400 f2.8 and the 500 f4 and also with the tc`s added. I like the idea of f2.8 with a 1.7 ot 2x tc but the 500 with a 1.4 tc may be just as good.

Back