Long Sutton Butterfly and Wildlife Park (butterflies, Hummingbirds and Bald Eagles!)

Jo

Name
Jo Fisher
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out on a test run today, to see if I had lost my touch. I hope the following images show I haven't lol. I think so, but if you disagree please say! We are off to West Midlands Safari park tomorrow for Chris' 35th (hehe) birthday, and I wanted to make sure I was on form, as I don't want to miss a trick.

So we went to http://www.butterflyandwildlifepark.co.uk today, I have no idea why we haven't been before! The web site does not do this place justice really. The Butterfly house itself was worth the entry fee. There were hundreds (if not thousands) of beautiful butterfly's and even lots of birds floating around. I had to wait nearly 30 mins for my lens to stop steaming up (great tip here > blow on the lens to help speed up the warming of your lens), and by that time I was too hot to stay in there much longer. So we are definitely going back again.

There is much much more to the place, and I didn't even get around the animal bits!

The cafe is also good. Lovely coffee and reasonably priced menus. Plus a fabulous little gift shop.

Can you tell we had a good day out today? :)

C&C welcome as always, I hope you enjoy the images (y) And click each one if you want to see them large!

#4 Can someone confirm if these next 3 are Hummingbirds?

And the next two are my favourites from the day

Thanks for looking!

Jo
xxx

I would say you haven't lost your touch. I have no clue about the birds though. You could market those Bald Eagle shots to us Americans!

The first eagle shot is stunning. But there is a hot pixel/dust/etc thats really putting me off. Just thought you'd like to know in case you missed it.

The first eagle shot is stunning. But there is a hot pixel/dust/etc thats really putting me off. Just thought you'd like to know in case you missed it.

Thanks ;) it's fixed now, just hit F5.

I'm glad you all like them :)

I can't wait till tomorrow :woot:

wow incredible shots imo, i love going to butterfly farms the one near us in stratford upon avon is pretty good too. how did you get the black background for the eagle shots? was it like then when you took the shot or did you edit that in?

It was mostly black to begin with, just a couple of small areas needed cloning. The sun was hitting his little shed thing just right and casting dark shadows behind him ... and as a lot of people know I love my black backgrounds on shots :LOL: so it was perfect.

All I can say is, next time you go, take me with you! :annoyed:

Looks like a great place - I love the Hummingbird(?) shots.

Great set of shots Jo,:clap:would love the chance to photo those Humming Birds in flight.

Very good set Jo:clap:. Long Sutton isn't very far from me so looks a trip is on the cards

PS how have you linked your images back to Flickr?????

what a day and what a great set of pics
#7 seems to be "unavailable" though

Great set Jo :clap: hope you have a good day at the West Midlands Safari park and look forward to seeing some more great shots (y)

Thanks again everyone :)

It's 5:10am and we are just about to leave for WMSP, with the hope of catching a glorious sunrise on the way. It's Chris' birthday, so he has been promised a Little Chef brekky on the way too (I know he's very strange my hubby!) :LOL:.

Maddog Mark ~ I'll explain later this evening when we get home, unless someone beats me to it (y)

Really nice stuff, Jo. I think your touch is well and truly found !! :D:LOL:

Very good. (y)

I haven't been to Long Sutton Butterfly Park for years. My latest squeeze is a bit freaked by insects but I think I might pursuade her to go one day.
I remember the butterly house as being really humid though and would be a little nervous about taking a dslr in there. Did you have any problems? Should I take my faithfull old S7000 for inside the hot house?

Some really nice shots there, with the bald eagle shots being my faves.

maddog, I don't know what Jo uses for linking backto flicr, but i use this which was written by someone on another forum I frequent.

Cheers Torpedo I'll give that a try later(y)

Very nice set of shots you have there. What is shot No7, all I am getting is 'This shot is currently unavailable'

For those who have had trouble viewing number 7 it should be fixed now, just hit F5 (y)

Thanks again everyone! :)

Very good. (y)

I haven't been to Long Sutton Butterfly Park for years. My latest squeeze is a bit freaked by insects but I think I might persuade her to go one day.
I remember the butterfly house as being really humid though and would be a little nervous about taking a dslr in there. Did you have any problems? Should I take my faithful old S7000 for inside the hot house?

My 350D and 70-300mm lens did just fine in there. We were in there for over an hour, though half of that was spent waiting for my lens to warm up :LOL: Just make sure you have a cloth to wipe your lens and body regularly with. Like I say, mine did just fine and went on to produce some corkers yesterday at the Safari park too, so it mustn't have done any harm.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend you changing lenses in there though, kept it all sealed and then not humidity should get inside ... i think anyway.

Back