Looking a nikon lens

Edit My Images
Yes
hi i was wondering what would be the best the lens to get that would fit a nikon that

a/ auto focus's very quickly (suitable for wildlife photography)
b/ that had a range up to either 200mm or 300mm
c/ for a max of £800

I have also so far found one that was quite interesting the Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 D.

I was just wondering whether other people had any good alternatives?

Thanks for any replies

Think you want an AF-S lens not AF for speed and quiet autofocus but i stand ready to be carrected

Nikon AF-S 70-300mm VR an option obviously not as good in terms of aperture but a good lens none the less

or

Nikon AF-S 300mm f/4 ED-IF @ £750
Nikon AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED @ £1075

you could also consider Sigma and Tamron equivalents as well

Have a look at a 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S, make sure it's the S version. You should be able to pick one up for about £500-£600 and it is the best lens I have owned, I wish I hadn't sold mine as it was very, very sharp and fast focusing as well.

Have a look at a 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S, make sure it's the S version. You should be able to pick one up for about £500-£600 and it is the best lens I have owned, I wish I hadn't sold mine as it was very, very sharp and fast focusing as well.

Yeah a friend has one, cracking lens :).

Sigma 100-300mm f4..superb lens and works really well with a 1.4 converter giving you plenty of reach..wouldn't part with mine

You don't say what camera you have, that makes a HUGE difference to the lenses you might look at. With a Pro body D1/D2 etc then any AF lens will be snappy on focus. Then again you don't say what it is you're photographing. A flying hummingbird will need much quicker focusing than a fox etc.

Indeed it's a cracker :naughty:

i'm about to buy the Nikon D200, but i currently only have the kit lenses that came with my old film Nikon F55, i just found the 70-300 f4-5.6 too slow at auto focusing when used on wildlife like trying to capture rabbits runing.

So really i'm after a lens that will cope with the majority of wildlife photography and that has a quick autofocus.

The 70-200 not living up to it's promise then?

The jury is out at the moment but I'll know after this weekend at Blenheim Horse Trials when it gets a proper test in working conditions. At times it appears soft, whether that is down to user error is another matter....;)

Hacker i was just wondering what kit do you use for photographing the Horses at competetions!

Back