Beginner Looking after film

Name
Liz
Edit My Images
Yes
So I've recently acquired myself an Olympus OM20, as I wanted to give film photography a try, and hopefully learn some of the basics without too many settings getting in the way. (Also I can get hold of much better stuff on my student budget than I could for digital) It's going well so far - I'm working my way through my first roll of film and gradually learning the ropes. Anyway, my question is basically about how much heat a roll of film can tolerate without getting ruined. I'm about to head off camping with some friends and was hoping to take my Olympus and possibly an extra roll of film (ISO 400) with me, but I'm not sure whether the camera/film will be able to tolerate how hot it might get in the tent during the day. Anyone got any advice on this?

Last edited:
You should be fine, just try not to leave your film sitting in direct sunlight for too long. Will you really be leaving your camera in the tent during the day, won't you have it with you so you can take photos?

Well film cameras have been used from the north pole to the Sahara desert....but on hot days in Spain I just keep the camera and film out of direct sunshine...I think more of a problem is hot steamy wet jungles where camera and film would have to be more protected.

You should be fine, just try not to leave your film sitting in direct sunlight for too long. Will you really be leaving your camera in the tent during the day, won't you have it with you so you can take photos?

Thanks. :) Not planning to leave in the tent too much, but I might need to upon occasion.

I don't know where you're going Liz but tents aren't the most secure structures so unless you're trekking in the wilderness somewhere I'd take it with you where possible.

I've taken film and cameras in non-airconditioned buses, cars, tents and huts in Central Australia (hot, dry) and Far North Queensland (hot, humid) with no obvious ill effects. Admittedly, this was consumer film rather than professional; the latter may be a bit more fussy.

Basically, what the guys said, don't worry about it, just don't leave it in direct sunlight, eg inside a car, for too long. Don't worry if you're carrying it, she'll be right (as we used to say). Leave the film you're not using on the day in a bag, eg with your clothes. Oh, take more film than you think you need; never know what might turn up!

(Remember Agfa Vista in Poundland, guess the price, 24-shot 200 ISO C41 film that's not too bad, and converts nicely to black and white in PP once scanned.)

Back