Looking at monitors

Name
Tilly
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, I know this question has been asked a thousand times already but I'm looking for advice on a new monitor. This is the one in currently looking at. https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...23-8-ips-lcd-monitor-silver-10165929-pdt.html. I'm currently running my pc through an LG TV that's display is only 720p. The graphics card I have is a Sapphire Radeon HD 6850. The card is 1080p full HD, does that mean even if the screen is above 1080p the image will not be any better as it's all the card can handle. Sorry if that seems a silly question but I lost touch with the pc market after having my current one built by someone else. Would this monitor connect to my current graphics card without any issues?
Any advice would be appreciated as always

Hi guys, I know this question has been asked a thousand times already but I'm looking for advice on a new monitor. This is the one in currently looking at. https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...23-8-ips-lcd-monitor-silver-10165929-pdt.html. I'm currently running my pc through an LG TV that's display is only 720p. The graphics card I have is a Sapphire Radeon HD 6850. The card is 1080p full HD, does that mean even if the screen is above 1080p the image will not be any better as it's all the card can handle. Sorry if that seems a silly question but I lost touch with the pc market after having my current one built by someone else. Would this monitor connect to my current graphics card without any issues?
Any advice would be appreciated as always

Yes that card appears to have a max resolution of 1920x1200 over HDMI, which means you won't be able to take full advantage of the resolution of that monitor. I'd go for something else unless you are planning on upgrading your graphics card - note that increasing the resolution exponentially increases the demands on the computer as well so make sure the rest of your PC can handle it if you go down that route.

In terms of connecting the 2, HDMI is basically the standard now so yes they will connect up perfectly fine, you just won't be able to set your resolution to above 1920x1080.

your graphics card has a displayport connector which gives you a maximum resolution of 2560 x 1600
the monitor you have linked to also has a displayport input and has a maximum resolution of 2560 x 1440
all you would need is a displayport lead and you would be good to go
for a guid short of £140 it's specification looks quite impressive but how good the colour accuracy is iv'e no clue

for a little more money you could get something like this with similar spec but a tried n tested brand

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/238...40-5ms-10001-300cd-m-displayport-hdmi-usb-hub

either one will be a damn site better than 720p on a tv

your graphics card has a displayport connector which gives you a maximum resolution of 2560 x 1600
the monitor you have linked to also has a displayport input and has a maximum resolution of 2560 x 1440
all you would need is a displayport lead and you would be good to go
so by connecting the graphics card to the monitor using the displayports instead of with hdmi the resolution of my graphics card can be boosted from 1080 to 1440? Sorry I just want to make sure I understood what you were saying Mark

Last edited:
so by connecting the graphics card to the monitor using the displayports instead of with hdmi the resolution of my graphics card can be boosted from 1080 to 1440? Sorry I just want to make sure I understood what you were saying Mark

the display resolution will be 2560 x 1440 if you use the displayport
if you use hdmi your resolution will be 1960 x 1080 ( 1080p )

hope it makes sense

The AMD website says of their HD6850, so hopefully adds clarification unless Sapphire modified it?

• DisplayPort 1.2
    • Max resolution: 2560x1600 per display
    • Multi-Stream Transport
    • 21.6 Gbps bandwidth
    • High bit-rate audio
  • HDMI® (With 3D, Deep Color and x.v.Color™)
    • Max resolution: 1920x1200
    • Dual-link DVI with HDCP
      • Max resolution: 2560x1600
    • VGA
      • Max resolution: 2048x1536

Thanks guys. I think I'll read some reviews on the monitor I mentioned and if it looks good go for that one and get a display port cable to hook it up

Back