Looking for a good digital photo frame

Name
Martin Phipps
Edit My Images
Yes
I have searched and could not find any info on this..

I'm looking for a good digital photo frame as a gift for my mother.... following features are desired...

a/ Ease of use - has to be bomb proof

b/ Fairly good quality - but does not need to be the ultimate

c/ looks good in a not-too-contemporary type of way :thinking:

Probably around an 8inch unit.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I looked at getting one recently, but I couldn't find one that would do the pictures justice!

The resolution tends to be on the low side, takes ages to load large file sizes (in my experience) and unless you crop, can get some weird and wonderful borders on the pics.

If someone knows of a SUPERB frame - let me know!

The Xmas before last we had some in at work for "Xmas specials" for clients. They were the best I'd seen, but the market seems to have become saturated with cheap ones that have poor interfaces and LCD panels. I doubt I can still get the ones we had any more.
I believe Sony have a few out there now, and if they're anything like their LCD TV's then they might well be worth a look - but definitely not the cheapest I expect.

I was also looking for one myself, about 10in, but to date hav,ent seen one worth the money, apart from the size i really do think these things are well over priced, maybe have to wait a couple of years before they come to some normality.

2 years ago in June I lost my brother. I bought one of these frames for my mother and loaded lots of pictures of him onto it. She still has it playing as a slide show most days.It helps her.
The quality on the screen is great! I haven't seen one yet that matches it.
I remember a while ago one of the tog mags did a review of some and this one won.
Heres the link to the frame:
http://www.wedodigital.co.uk/product.php?id=2007

I got a Kodak SV811 8" before Christmas, photos are sharp with bright colours, I love mine it's on all the time, photos of Lake District mainly. I did have some issues with "bad file" do a search with my fix, since then no probs, got mine for under £70 so was a good deal. I got a second one for my parents as well, I'm sure there are other good ones, my best advice is see it working before you buy one, to see if your happy with pic quality. :)

The only one I've tried is the seven inch frame from Novatech. The quality is OK but not amazing. I doubt your average non-photographer will complain, though.

My screensaver on my PC is set to show my chosen photos as a slideshow.

I've never read a good review on any of these frames yet.

when I was looking I found the only ones offering a decent resolution were by Philips. I kept trawling ebay but could only find them for around 150 quid. Eventually I changed my search phrase from photo frame to picture frame and bingo, got the 9" Philips one for £37 +shipping. Absolute bargain and very happy with the quality...

My screensaver on my PC is set to show my chosen photos as a slideshow.

I've never read a good review on any of these frames yet.

I remember seeing them tested on the gadget show, and they said the same. After review 4 or 5 the advice given was set up a slide show on your PC

the biggest problem with these at the moment is the poor resolutions of the LCD/TFT screens used in them. They vary from lowely CGA type resolutions (320x200) upto better ones (and more costly) 1024x768.

Looked in Jessops other day (for lens pricing :) ) and noticed one or two nice Kodak 10" models with 1024x768 resolution, but it was nearly £200.

don't think they are quite there yet, given images from 12MP cameras having to be cropped or scaled to fit a 786KP (kilopixel) display - bleugh!

Gary

I remember seeing them tested on the gadget show, and they said the same. After review 4 or 5 the advice given was set up a slide show on your PC

I was looking on PC World's web site the other day and, for £161 including delivery, you could get an Advent PC with a 15" screen. Granted it's not gonna set the world on fire as a PC but hey, you can get a fair few pics on the included 80gb hard drive and have a 15" screen!

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=986891&category_oid=

Back