Looking for a lens for gig photography

Edit My Images
Yes
I was shooting a gig on Friday night, it was a basement club and very dark, with a red and a green spotlight. My 24-105 didn't even look at it, even at maximum ISO. I got some good pics with the 50mm f1.8, which was okay as in the small club and right on top of the band.

Would the 70-200mm f2.8 be a good investment for gigs?

Cheers

Dave

id have thought that the Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L would be perfect, if it was long enough for your conditions. 135mm is 216mm on a 40d

If the 24-105 wasn't close to being fast enough, Dave, then I'd have thought an f/2.8 zoom wouldn't be fast enough either. It's only one stop better, after all. (And I'd have thought the 70-200 would be a bit long, anyway.)

But if you want to go faster than f/2.8 then you're into prime territory. As saxk says, if the focal length range is right then the 135L would do a great job for you. Or there are any number of shorter fast primes, and they're not that expensive. For example you could buy the 135L, 85/1.8 and 50/1.4 and still save money compared to buying the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS.

the thre i most use on a fulll frame

50mm f1.4 much more than any other lens

85mm f1.8

35mm f2 [would use this more if it was f1.4]

i also bought the pro zooms that are f2.8

that they all say they use for concerts maybe for realy well lit big bands but i just wouldnt get anything in the very lowlit dives i frequent...:eek:

i think the 50mm f1.8 ids ideal i often go out at night with just a 50mm see the stuff i did yesterday with just a 50mm

2 bare lightbulbs is all i had to work with i could of used flash but never do

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=96146

Thanks for the advice people.

Most of the gigs I'll be doing will be in small "indie" type venues, as opposed to larger concert halls. I suppose the faster lenses will still be good in lighter venues, where the slower lenses will be okay in lighter venues, but hopeless in the near pitch dark! If that makes sense?

Another consideration is that I'm doing some weddings next year, would the faster lenses also be better suited to churches/registry offices where the light can be poor and no flash allowed? The 24-105 f4.0 is great outside, I find it perfect for groups and portraits outside.

Dave

Back