Looking for a lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi need a bit of advice, i have 2 lenses at the moment the Sigma 10-20mm and the Nikon 70-200mm but i could do with a lens to cover inbetween those two lenses, i've been looking at one the Sigma 24-70mm which looks OK but is there any others that i could look at which are good?

I want to steer clear of Nikon lenses as the misses would not be happy after spending so much on 1 lens, its to fit a D2X

Thanks in advance

I have the Sigma 24-70 and it's a big lens but one of my most used outside of macro, 82mm filters are expensive for it but it's a great lens.;)

Sigma 24-60 might be better. Is 77mm filter size and can be found pretty cheap at the moment as I think it has been discontinued. Someone on here found one from jessops for £50! Warehouseexpress did have them for £199 recently.

If I was going to get a mid range zoom for a cropped sensor nikon (but not a Nikon lens) I'd probably go for the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 SP XR Di II. Meant to be very good and very sharp for the money :)

Sigma 17-70 is a good one also, very good at the short end and fair at 70
yours gwh

Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 (it's the 'standard' kit lens for the D200) is a cracking piece of kit. Around £150, farlty fast aperture-wise and bloody good optics. Sharp as hell all the way through the aperture and zoom range. Internal focussing too although the zoom isn't internal.

Was going to trade mine in for a more upmarket model when I first got my D200 but decided to keep it because it's so good.

I'm also looking at this lens as a replacement for the 18-55 that came with my 350D. After hiring the Canon 24-70 f2.8 L I realised that I wanted a faster lens but couldn't afford the Canon as it's a bit pricey.... (Well I think I can afford it but the Mrs doesn't.... :crying: )

Can anybody who has this lens provide a couple of pictures taken with it please ?

(sorry to hijack your thread se-bmxer.....)

Steve

Sigma 24-60 might be better. Is 77mm filter size and can be found pretty cheap at the moment as I think it has been discontinued. Someone on here found one from jessops for £50! Warehouseexpress did have them for £199 recently.

If I was going to get a mid range zoom for a cropped sensor nikon (but not a Nikon lens) I'd probably go for the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 SP XR Di II. Meant to be very good and very sharp for the money :)

i believe he works for jessops and manages a collossal discount.

Cheapest i can find is £189 new, unless you buy off ebay.

Ill be putting mine up for sale in a few weeks if your in no rush.

Thanks for the advice, im going to go for the Sigma 24-70mm i've looked at the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 SP XR Di II but never used Tamron lenses so not sure how good they are

24-70 Sigma is a very capable lens - use on a D2x might highlight a few of its shortcomings that users of 'lesser' bodies don't see though - Its not something i've tries since i moved to full frame because i bought a 24-105 L lens and sold the 24-70 Sigma

Thanks for the advice, im going to go for the Sigma 24-70mm i've looked at the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 SP XR Di II but never used Tamron lenses so not sure how good they are

Where are you getting the Sigma from ? as I'm after one too...

Steve

Where are you getting the Sigma from ? as I'm after one too...

Steve

Was going to get it off ebay around £229-239 UK seller but no sure
with regards to warranty as it says sellers warranty

If i don't get it off ebay then it'll be warehouseexpress.co.uk £277

Was going to get it off ebay around £229-239 UK seller but no sure
with regards to warranty as it says sellers warranty

If i don't get it off ebay then it'll be warehouseexpress.co.uk £277

Seller warranties are just as decribed, you have to send the item back to the seller rather than canon, nikon etc for any servicing etc. It's how they can offer the items abit cheaper than a full warranted item. Never bought one with a sellers warranty before so can't give you any lowdown on my experiences, check out there feedback and search their site for the full info on their warranty.

As for the tamron 17-50mm f2.8, this is a great lens for the price, great optics, sharp, although a plastic body, not so rugged as you would like for a general purpose lens, but you can't get everything for that price.

Peter

Back