Looking for a new A3+ printer

Have you tested it on quality mono prints or just colour? I think this only has a black and single grey cartridge?

I have done 4 mono's and 5 colour. All seem excellent to me compared to another set that a local studio printed for me.

Am in the same boat looking for a new A3. I've an A4 Canon which had been great and an A3 Epson. The Canon has just plain packed up working for some reason. Won't even turn on and I've tried changing lead with one I know works. No joy! The Epson has just generally proven a love/hate affair. I have had some truly awesome prints from it after complete start to finish set up and screen calibrations and paper profiles, and messing with Photoshop. But after sitting for a few months it decided to go all weird on me and now I just can't get the colours I want. It's either pull all my hair out or junk the pair and start afresh. I like the 'out the box' notion, so am going to check out the Canon range. I have a ink system for the Epson which makes it even more frustrating!

My 2 cents worth on the Epson vs Canon issues raised. In the last year, I had persistently blocked heads on an Epson R2880 and following that (which went to recycling heaven) an Epson R3000 which is blocked and still sitting on the shelf as I can't get myself to take it to the recycling centre). Both these printers were using Permajet CIS systems which is an important parameter, Both had consistently blocked heads with their identical missing nozzle checks (obviously different patterns between the two printers). Untold attempts with Permajet cleverlogs to unblock the head on the R2880 alas because the R3000 head is remote from the cartridges it isn't possible to inject cleverclogs (or whatever proprietary product you can think of) into the head - which is also a system the Epson SC-P600 printer has! I was left in the situation that there was no reliable Epson alternative for me HOWEVER, I was using non Epson inks to be fair.
I moved to Canon and the single reason was if I ever get this persistent head blocking again (whatever the reason - including my own fault if that was the case before) I can stick a NEW Canon head in the Pixma printer for 80-100 bucks from the USA.
Try doing that with an Epson

I have a Canon pro 100 and it also has a separate print head which can be changed if needed.
Excellent prints straight out of the box no profiling needed.
If I did do a profile I can't imagine it would be much better.
I work at a printers and use large format Scitex 5 meter wide cmyk along with small format Canon image progaf 9000 12 ink pro photo printers and I haven't seen anything close to the quality I get from my own Pro 100.
It has 8 inks with 2 greys so I would think the Pro 10 and Pro 1 with more inks would be even more amazing.
However, I really am overjoyed at what is produced from the pro 100.
I get a full set of genuine inks for £60 and have managed to source Canon Platinum paper for a low price.
I really can't recommend enough this printer.
I even mage to set it up with out any hassle onto my home networked ethernet through the broadband router so I can access it from either pc.
One is an older pc and has no wifi, the newer one has wifi but I have disabled it as I prefer the Extra speed from hard wired Internet.
When the Virgin guy turned up he didn't belive you get a faster more secure connection via wired ethernet.
We did a test and the wifi gave me 48mbs while the ethernet cable gives 76mbs.
Anyhoo Wex Photography are official Canon dealers and often do deals with freebies I got the Canon pro 100 for £245 Inc p&p with a free Lacie 1TB portable hard drive.

I
Anyhoo Wex Photography are official Canon dealers and often do deals with freebies I got the Canon pro 100 for £245 Inc p&p with a free Lacie 1TB portable hard drive.

Great deal. I would have that if it was still on. Is £375 tho currently, but with a free Lacie 1TB.

I am very happy with its mono prints, I read somewhere a person had a green cast but they sorted it by using the let printer control colour output.
I have also read someone moved up from the pro 10 to the pro 1 and wrote the mono print was even better.
The deal I got from Wex was especially good as at the time it was £100 off retail plus an extra 10% plus the free Lacie 1TB and there was also free Canon platinum paper.
However when you clicked the box to include the paper the extra 10% offer wasn't given.
The extra 10% was worth more than the paper and the printer came with a small pack of A4 about 6 sheets of Canon platinum and a full set of inks not set up inks.
I know the inks where full because I did weigh them on digital scales and they where the same as a set I bought from else where in case it did arrive with set up inks.
I bought elsewhere because Wex price for ink was to much.
I have notice Wex doing the £100 + 10% extra + free gift twice more since I purchased last January.
One gift they offered was a Wacom tablet instead of the Lacie hd.
I'm not at home until Monday eve but will post back the
Ace I got the genuine inks and paper from when I can access my own pc with the info I keep on what and where I buy stuff.
Just to point out I have to say the Canon pro series "park" the print head properly and so they don't dry out anywhere near as quick.
I went away for over 6 weeks before and when I got back home I did a test print and had no banding or dropped nozzles.
I will do the same tomorrow eve and report back.

I print mono and the Epson r2880 does it excellently. So long as I can equal that I'd look at Canon

I have a Canon pro 100 and it also has a separate print head which can be changed if needed.
Excellent prints straight out of the box no profiling needed.
If I did do a profile I can't imagine it would be much better.
I work at a printers and use large format Scitex 5 meter wide cmyk along with small format Canon image progaf 9000 12 ink pro photo printers and I haven't seen anything close to the quality I get from my own Pro 100.
It has 8 inks with 2 greys so I would think the Pro 10 and Pro 1 with more inks would be even more amazing.
However, I really am overjoyed at what is produced from the pro 100.
I get a full set of genuine inks for £60 and have managed to source Canon Platinum paper for a low price.
I really can't recommend enough this printer.
I even mage to set it up with out any hassle onto my home networked ethernet through the broadband router so I can access it from either pc.
One is an older pc and has no wifi, the newer one has wifi but I have disabled it as I prefer the Extra speed from hard wired Internet.
When the Virgin guy turned up he didn't belive you get a faster more secure connection via wired ethernet.
We did a test and the wifi gave me 48mbs while the ethernet cable gives 76mbs.

Yes this was the printer I moved from Epson to. I was worried about the Dye inks but after writing off two Epson printers in one year I really couldn't afford the Pigment ink Pixma Pro 1 or even the Pixma Pro 10.

"I get a full set of genuine inks for £60 and have managed to source Canon Platinum paper for a low price"

I'd love to know your sources for these? :)

Jamie

shoshone I got the inks from ebuyer.com and at the time they were £58.83 Inc p&p
That was a few months ago, now they are a little more at £64.99 Inc p&p
The Canon paper I got was from cclonline.com which have a free delivery on orders over £50.
Hope this helps.

shoshone I got the inks from ebuyer.com and at the time they were £58.83 Inc p&p
That was a few months ago, now they are a little more at £64.99 Inc p&p
The Canon paper I got was from cclonline.com which have a free delivery on orders over £50.
Hope this helps.
Simon
Many thanks for that info - Tonergiant were about the same for the inks I haven't bought any paper for a while but I've noted cclonline.com for the future :)

One thing I watchout for are those that use small print to put the word "compatible" or hide it at the last moment next to some eronious part of the Web page.
And then there are those that use the on vat price and right at the end include it.
Also those that have prices very close to what you're expecting and seem to save you say a fiver but are compatible inks!
There are so many ways to display the price and the product you need hawk eyes sometimes.

My 2 cents worth on the Epson vs Canon issues raised. In the last year, I had persistently blocked heads on an Epson R2880 and following that (which went to recycling heaven) an Epson R3000 which is blocked and still sitting on the shelf as I can't get myself to take it to the recycling centre). Both these printers were using Permajet CIS systems which is an important parameter ...

Yeah, am wondering of that's what caused my Epson to go all weird. I had it beautifully set up and with no changes to otherwise explain it, but only rare use, I suspect it clogged.

Just for those that were interested, I have done some extensive testing on the Canon IP8750, and I can tell you that it has performed outstandingly. I am more than happy with all the 16x12 prints that are now covering my walls!

After much to and fro I'm probably going for that one as seems a great bang for buck option right now.

Worth noting the Canon IP8750 is available at Park Cameras for £169 delivered which seems to be cheapest in the UK right now, so bagged it! I was put off initially someone on Google moaning about there being no Win 10 driver and his printer had died, but I checked and there is a recent one via Canon UK! Next day delivery is about £5. See: here

Worth noting the Canon IP8750 is available at Park Cameras for £169 delivered which seems to be cheapest in the UK right now, so bagged it! I was put off initially someone on Google moaning about there being no Win 10 driver and his printer had died, but I checked and there is a recent one via Canon UK! Next day delivery is about £5. See: here

I think you won't be disappointed. Let us know how you get on with it.

I have the Canon Pro100 and generally it works well. I must admit I have had a couple of problems, using it on wifi, but a quick email to Canon and it was sorted very quickly.

I could be tempted to get into printing my own again but I have a severe lack of space so sadly not at this time :(

So my printer didn't arrive Friday despite paying for next day and dispatch confirmed Thursday. Have asked Park Cameras to contact courier to ensure it's delivered Monday and to refund my next day delivery charge.

The Canon IP8750 arrived Monday and Park Cameras are refunding the next day delivery charge, so that's decent. Basic printer set up was OK, tho poor instructions meant I had to get the full manual online and work through the wifi connection. WIFI and Google Print now working fine. Test print quality is very good and it's fast. Just need to print a full image via Photoshop to make a final judgement and maybe sort any calibration for my paper. Seems a good buy tho at £169 so far.

Last edited:
Back