Looking for the older Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 Nikon Fit

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Although I have an add in the wanted section I'd quite like to purchase a new Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 lens. I say "new" as in "off the shelf" - I'd quite like to find the older body driven model.

Anyone know where I might be able to find some stock?

the new one isn't that slow mate. it's a bit noisy ;) also whitey had one for sale second hand, but as far as i am aware all the new ones are now motor driven.

I know the Tamron gets good reviews, but have you considered the Sigma EX equivilent? For what it's worth I have the Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 (the old version on Nikon you mention). Lovely sharp thing and light weight for everyday use. Trouble is the build quality is crap. No way up to EX levels (I have quite a few EX lenses). Wish I'd gone for the sigma instead as I keep expecting the thing to fail. The front element came loose on mine and had to be repaired, yet I'm fairly careful with my glass and it hasn't had any hard knocks as far as I can recall. Shame really.

What were you thinking of as an alternative?

The only EX I know of in that range is the 24-70.

The 7mm I'd loose at the wide end is far more significant than the 20mm I'd gain at the long end... but it is something I'm thinking about. I thought perhaps I could also get a wide prime but they're not cheap...

front element came loose?! shocking that is...

24-70 is a good lens but its massive and 82mm rings...and obviously u end up with another lens in the bag for wide

Back