Beginner Looking to get back into photography

Name
richard
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I'm looking to get back into photography had a canon 600d a while ago but stupidly sold it. Anyway things have changed a fair bit with tech so I can see. My main interests will be mainly macro for me, photos of the kids/dog for the missus and nice photos when we go on day trips museum's zoos etc.
I'm a little lost with all the cameras now. I liked the 600d a bit bulky at times carrying everything around maybe but was easy to use. I have a budget of about £500 and I'm happy to go second hand. Any recommendations for best bang for buck as they say. I like the look of some of the mirrorless cameras but I do prefer a viewfinder.
Thanks in advance.

Almost anything will probably do the job these days :D but I like mirrorless and doubly so for macro as macro is usually manual focus and manual focus with a mirrorless camera is arguably as accurate as it gets.

I have a first Generation Sony A7 (this is a FF mirrorless camera) and a number of both modern MF and AF lenses. I also have a number of film era manual lenses I use via adapters one of which is an old film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 1:1 macro. Back when I had DSLR's I had a Sigma 150mm f2.8 and that was lovely if big and heavy.

Advantages of mirrorless cameras include accurate and consistent focus, being able to focus anywhere in the frame, face/eye detect, being able to see the exposure and the dof before you press the shutter and doubtless more too.

There are Micro Four Thirds, APS-C and FF mirrorless cameras to choose from and I'd recommend having a good read up on them and checking what used ones go for before deciding which way to go.

This may seem a bit left field but have a look at the Lumix TZ90.
Massive zoom facility, plus macro. Tiltable screen, great for kids & pets.
Has viewfinder. Shoots RAW.
Decent quality pics, fits in your pocket and half (ish) your budget.
Love mine.

Thanks for the advice in the end I've gone for an olympus om-d e-m10 mark iii as the deal for £399 was to good to turn down I think. Also got cashback from quidco. Despite olympus selling I think its a steal. Can't wait to get it now.

Back