Beginner looking to get back into photogrpahy

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction. Looking to get back into photography after having about a year away.

Had a D7000 before but have decided something like that is too cumbersome for me.

Therefore looking for a CSC or a high end compact.

Currently using a Olympus tough point and shoot which is ok for quick snaps but lacks quality.

So far looked at a Panasonic Linux GX1 or a GF6 or maybe a Nikon 1 J3.

Mostly want something fairly compact and lightweight. Going to be used mostly on days out and holidays. Got a 13 month old little girl so need something with fast focus.

As always, I would suggest you visit a good, well stocked retailer and have a play to see which (of the myriad) of choices feels best to you. While I still enjoy using an SLR, I'm finding that I use my Nikon V-1 far more often as well as a couple of Fuji (decent) compacts. I've also just bought myself an X-Pro 1 system (another Fuji) but haven't had a chance to get out there and play with it yet (poor weather and been too busy).

Unfortunately in Cambridge we don't have a large amount of camera shops only the one left since Jessops closed and they seem to charge full retail on everything, still worth a look though. Though the staff in the local John Lewis seem fairly helpful.

I use a fuji x10 when I want to travel light, small and very capable.

As you mentioned the GX1...

I bought a GF1 when they first came out and I loved it until I decided that I couldn't live without a viewfinder. Personally, I think that VF or back screen shooting is the first decision. If you are happy using just the back screen then cameras like the GX1 may suit you but if you want a VF an add on could be an option or you could go for something with a built in VF. I changed my GF1 for a G1 and I still have it and think it's very good at low to mid ISO's.

Last edited:
woofwoof
`I bought a GF1 when they first came out and I loved it until I decided that I couldn't live without a viewfinder.`

That for me and the camera size- fits in pocket or not is the biggest question.
Most cameras nowadays give you something decent to view on your PC screen or smallish print. I can not justify having 2 decent cameras and despite changing a few times I still don`t know the answer. Currently have a Sony RX100 II but really miss having a view finder. i wear photochromic glasses which probably do not help either.

I spent the last year using just the screen on my basic compact to focus as it hasn't a viewfinder and to be honest I haven't found it a disadvantage, only the occasional time in bright sunlight has it caused a few issues with not being able to view it well. I guess I need a lists of wants and would be nice to have then go handle a few bodies.

Yup, a list of needs, wants and wouldn't minds!

Of my small cameras, the Fuji XF1 probably gets used most because it slips into a pocket so easily. The X20 will just about fit into a jacket pocket, as will the XPro1 with the 18mm lens on, if it's a big coat!

Happy shopping.

I'd also go with a fuji if I was buying new to get back into photography. My Leica is roughly the same size as a xpro1 and I can take it anywhere rather easily, especially compared to any DSLR which is far larger.

Back