'Loose' Canon 18-135 lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi, i have a Canon EF-S 18-135 IS lens, which i've owned for about 8 months.

i've increasingly noticed that, particularly with the hood attached, the lens extends when i'm carrying it - for example if slung over my shoulder with the lens pointing down behind me, the weight of the hood pulls it out.

This is a concern in itself in case of accidental damage, but it occurs that with the lens seemingly a little 'loose' it could cause movement when taking pictures at an upward or downward angle.

Does anyone know if it is possible to 'tighten' a telephoto lens up so it does not move so easily?

I Googled but this is the only possibly relevant thing i came up with -

http://lensband.com/diy/

any views?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give (y)

PM

'lens slip' or 'lens creep' isn't uncommon and I think this is one lens that's known for it.

Not sure about a home fix or solution but somebody may have a bright idea if it's bothering you.

Afaik it's not possible to tighten that lens up, having seen the inner workings of a few lenses there's really nothing inside you can tweak and tbh, I wouldn't strip one down unless I really had to.
The creep is 'normal' in as much as they're known to suffer from it.
That lensband will work though a laccy band might work just as well.
Fwiw, my Sigma 150-500 will extend to it's full extension if I hold it pointing downwards but Sigma thoughtfully added a 'lock' switch to stop it happening.

ok cheers for replies though a shame the lens seems to have that problem and doesn't have a lock - maybe as it's a smaller 'non-pro' lens they can't be bothered - the EF 100-400 i have you can tighten or lossen to how much you want

i'm interested in the blacktape solution someone's tried on that website as elastic bands sound a bit fiddly - i suppose the downside of tape is that eventually it'll start leaking sticky stuff...

ok cheers for replies though a shame the lens seems to have that problem and doesn't have a lock - maybe as it's a smaller 'non-pro' lens they can't be bothered - the EF 100-400 i have you can tighten or lossen to how much you want

i'm interested in the blacktape solution someone's tried on that website as elastic bands sound a bit fiddly - i suppose the downside of tape is that eventually it'll start leaking sticky stuff...

Hi

Yes lens creep is common, esp on the 28-135 - it did it on mine fairly easily and never really had an issue - just made sure I was careful when moving around with that lens on the camera. I really liked my 28-135IS lens.

The 100-400 is a push-pull zoom, hence why it has a tension ring (which is what you are using to stop zoom creep), nothing really to do with Canon not being bothered to put one on non L lenses / every lens. A few of the long / heavier lenses have a zoom lock function - the 70-300IS has a lock on it which stops it moving when at the 70mm range.

I've heard of the rubber band solution and it appears to be a good work round, but I've no personal experience of it. I certainly wouldn't be using any tape on the lens - is it wrapped round the extending inner body of the lens ??

Last edited:
Hi

Yes lens creep is common, esp on the 28-135 - it did it on mine fairly easily and never really had an issue - just made sure I was careful when moving around with that lens on the camera. I really liked my 28-135IS lens.

The 100-400 is a push-pull zoom, hence why it has a tension ring (which is what you are using to stop zoom creep), nothing really to do with Canon not being bothered to put one on non L lenses / every lens. A few of the long / heavier lenses have a zoom lock function - the 70-300IS has a lock on it which stops it moving when at the 70mm range.

I've heard of the rubber band solution and it appears to be a good work round, but I've no personal experience of it. I certainly wouldn't be using any tape on the lens - is it wrapped round the extending inner body of the lens ??

I guess so, but anyway i think you're right, as i say i think it could be messy

might try a rubber band or just put up with it - still it's irritating as otherwise it's nice to sling it behind me when walking

Back