Love Letter

Boo

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok... I'd like some advice on how I could have made this pikkie better, as in composition, lighting etc, not just what you can do with it now in PS.

It was taken with a Canon Powershot A610 on Macro mode, F2.8, 1/60 shutter speed, ISO 100, White balance set for cloudy day, no flash, pattern metering, natural lighting from the left (big window in north/west facing room)

Apart from the border it's as taken with the camera so you can advise. I have got another copy where I've played with the levels and put a gaussian blur on it but I'm interested in what you guys would do, both in setting the shot up (direction of light, diffusers, reflectors etc) and post processing in PS

In this original I can see that a tad cropping in the top is needed, and the leaf of the tulip is too close to the edge of the frame, infact its chopped off on the left but anything else you can give me tips on would be great as flower macro is what I really want to get into.

I have to admit it was a hand held shot as I've got a useless tripod so what I'm aiming for is info on what equipment I need for this type of work as well particularly any home made diffusers etc.

Thanks in advance

Love+Letter.jpg

To me the orientation of the flower is wrong, it seems to be pointed downwards. I relalise that it's not but that its camera angle but these things affect us.

I can see that its natural light but I don't think that its doing it any fafours. You want a warm glow that can only really come from diffuse lighting.

:)

Optikverve Labs, Virtual Photographer free filterscontain some nice diffuse filters etc. Download them & have a play

I agree with Sammy.
There seems to be something not sitting right with it, and I can't put my finger on it.
Technicals aside, I think it's the actual composition of the shot, that doesn't seem quite right with me.
Both the flower and the writing seems to be fighting for my eye, and the writing doesn't seem 'enough', if the script were smaller and there were more of it, it would say 'Love Letter' to me more.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

From the lack of comments I take it that its not a very good pikkie lol .... thanks guys for the feedback, I've taken on board what you've said. I knew there was something not quite right myself and I couldn't figure out what it was. I did print the Gaussian Blur one off and funnily enough I do quite like it, the colours are warmer and the writing is more blurred so the flower is more the point of attention, but I do know what you mean and I'm going to have a further play.

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded and am having a field day trying out some of the filters. I do want to become competant at getting a good picture to start with, without having to mess around with it too much but they are great to experiment with aren't they.

I take it that using a diffuser would stop the light being so cold and harsh?

Any ideas on how I can make my own diffuser or any recommendations for a good one for flower and macro work?

Cheers.

Not at all - we've been a tad busy of late that's all. I like the colours on this and I think it's worth persuing further. I think the angle on the script is wrong - you're too close to the page and looking along the lines of script means that the DoF falls off very rapidly indeed. Try a slightly higher viewpoint and angle the writing more horizontally.
Work round the subject more, take lots more shots from various different angles and see which works best, then work on perfecting that one.

Making your own difuser shouldn't be a big deal, you just need something in the way of the flash that fuzzies the light. A big disk of thin paper would be fine, I think Ghandi had suggested once using an old paracetamol bottle.

I did indeed. well remembered that man!

I only use it for the on camera pop-up flash though. Not sure how it would work on a compact. What I did was...... Cut the bottom off of an old opaque film cannister or white pill bottle and slit it along it's length so you have a curled section of plastic, it should then then slip over the flash. The film cannister is more neutral and the pill bottle produced a warmer tone.

Failing that, just a piece of silicon paper (greaseproof to you non-bakers) taped over the flash works wonders. Try not to use baking parchment though as it produces a very yellow light.

Ultimately a diffuser will soften the light and reduce any harsh shadows caused by direct lighting.

Arkady said:
Not at all - we've been a tad busy of late that's all. I like the colours on this and I think it's worth persuing further. I think the angle on the script is wrong - you're too close to the page and looking along the lines of script means that the DoF falls off very rapidly indeed. Try a slightly higher viewpoint and angle the writing more horizontally.
Work round the subject more, take lots more shots from various different angles and see which works best, then work on perfecting that one.

Thanks :) I'll give that a go. Its one of things where you know there is a pikkie in there somewhere but the one you're looking at isn't working. The tulips have now died so I'll have to try with some nice new fresh ones.....

Gandhi said:
I did indeed. well remembered that man!

I only use it for the on camera pop-up flash though. Not sure how it would work on a compact. What I did was...... Cut the bottom off of an old opaque film cannister or white pill bottle and slit it along it's length so you have a curled section of plastic, it should then then slip over the flash. The film cannister is more neutral and the pill bottle produced a warmer tone.

Failing that, just a piece of silicon paper (greaseproof to you non-bakers) taped over the flash works wonders. Try not to use baking parchment though as it produces a very yellow light.

Ultimately a diffuser will soften the light and reduce any harsh shadows caused by direct lighting.

Thanks Gandhi, very useful to know..... what sort of diffuser would you use if you weren't using flash, you know... for natural light, both cold northern direction light, and warm sunlight?

Never used one in that situation, I only tend to use natural light indoors when it's grey and overcast anyways, natural diffusion effect.

Anything that spreads the light I guess would be useful, net curtains, white cloth, greaseproof again. You can buy all sorts of proper stuff for this sort of thing such as light-tents, proper diffusion discs and such. Best thing is to have a look around at what's available and see if you can re-create it at home. !EXPERIMENT! ;)

At a pinch you can try just breathing on a clear filter - UV or sklight, or even coating it with a very fine smear of Vaseline or similar. To create a clear centre spot filter with diffused edges just leave a clear bit in the centre.

I have a tip for a quick and dirty flash diffuser :D

Used it a couple of years ago when taking some photos of some jewellery for a friend, with my Canon G3.

Tissue. If it's 2 ply or whatever, split it. Just held over the flash.
Worked a treat for me.

Back