low fly enthusisasts

Actually, it's not good news for the low level routes at all unfortuantely. This exercise likely won't send any aircraft into those areas (and they are in the minority as far as low level areas go) where photographers can position themselves like the 'mach loop' or the other well known areas.

There's also a chance it could mean that those areas see less action because of the exclusion zones set out by this exercise, but since I don't know the geography of Wales I couldn't say where as I don't know where this is taking place. I'm not saying this is the fact, but that's how these things have often tended to work in the past. Nice gesture though.

Last edited:
I would imagine that the low level flying areras will be quite active as this is predominently a low level exercise.

I would imagine that the low level flying areras will be quite active as this is predominently a low level exercise.
Maybe so, but not the low level flying areas that offer vantage points for photographers which are, as I say a tiny percentage of the low level areas used.
Like I say also, the exercise traffic will preclude anything else from appearing...
where low flying operations have been arranged as part of the exercise, this precludes the use of the same area by aircraft carrying out routine low-level training flying.
I'm not saying it will certainly make it a dead loss, but rather warning people from getting excited and rushing to the locations thinking that they will 100% have a exceptional day thanks to this exercise. Never say never, but it's far from being something to take for granted, so be wary.

Last edited:
i'd say that ex would slow the loop down if anything...the recent Forward Air Control ex @ hereford/ludlow/ross on wye/ledbury certainly did....

Interesting. I live in Conwy and there has been quite a lot of activity overhead recently, I wonder if it relates to building up to this? We see a lot of Hawks and so on coming and going from RAF Valley. My next door neighbour is a RAF pilot but he is stationed at Briez Norton at the moment, will have to quiz him if I see him in the next week or so.

i'd say that ex would slow the loop down if anything...the recent Forward Air Control ex @ hereford/ludlow/ross on wye/ledbury certainly did....
bang on, the range exercise that was on last time i was at the there seemed to have a negative effect on frontliners through the loop too, despite them not being that far away

It does say
"where low flying operations have been arranged as part of the exercise, this precludes the use of the same area by aircraft carrying out routine low-level training flying"

Had the fright of my life earlier when a very low plane flew over me while I was driving near New Quay, Wales. Their loud aren't they?

Back