Low flying ( Help needed please.)

Name
Ben Gilbert
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys, I live in Lampeter in west wales and really fancy the idea of shooting low flying, but would like to know a bit about how to get to the places and the best places for action really. I know all about the conditions up there so know to take waterproofs, warm clothing, food and drink ect, its just the location of the places and directions to get to them really, anything I can chuck into the sat nav to help me out at all? I generally shoot motorsport and have some decent gear to take up with me for the shots, I will probably going up with a friend also as I dont fancy a day on my own up there. Am I right in thinking a wednesday is the best day to go up? Obviously its not 100% that anything will appear, Ive just heard wednesday is usually the best day to go. Any info on this subject would be gratefully recieved.
Cheers

Ben

Thanks for that Mr Angry. Will have a look, any tips for the places to go? Really would like to get some fighter jet shots (if thats the right phrase for them!!) Very much a novice wjen it comes to planes sorry! :LOL:

I would also like to get the planes head on aswell as side on. Would the Bwlch be a good place for these type of shots?

Here you go fella's. All the details you will need. Have a good read and print off. Directions etc.
Do not under estimate how quick the weather changes up there and make sure people know where you are.

http://www.warplane.co.uk/Wales.htm

I would suggets Cadwest/ Cadeast as your first trip. ;)

Kev.

:wave:
hi ben, i live near aberystwyth and would also like to try this. any chance we could meet up for a day out?
paul

:wave:
hi ben, i live near aberystwyth and would also like to try this. any chance we could meet up for a day out?
paul

Hi Paul,

Id be happy to meet up, always nice to meet a fellow tog and forum member. Just got to make sure I know the way up there, unless you do?? Then that would be awesome. (y)

Hi Paul,

Id be happy to meet up, always nice to meet a fellow tog and forum member. Just got to make sure I know the way up there, unless you do?? Then that would be awesome. (y)

If you want I can pm you the route up Cadwest if you like. Its very easy as far as directions go. a bit of a steep climb.

Kev.

THANKS FOR THE INFO KEVSHORE AS IM ALSO INTERESTED IN HAVING A LOOK SOME DAY.

Everyone be warned!!!! It takes over your life! Completely consumes you! I recently took two lads up there for their first trip and they were like children on Christmas morning after the first pass! A pair of F15's.

Kev.

Hi all
After seeing some of the cracking shots posted here i have made the leap and going to cad on Thurs 1st Oct. This will be my first time and have posted on lowfly inviting others to join me as i need all the help i can get aswell, so if anyone is free that day to go you are more than welcome to join me.
So keep your eyes peeled for my post upon returning from my visit.

Good luck fella`s. you will love it, bit of advise for ya is practise your panning technique, sort out your shutter speeds, 1000 for jets 200-300 props, bump up iso if needed and have a great day up there..
Bazz

Hi all.

I can only re-iterate what Kev has already posted, anticipate the worst (regardless of the forecast) and take plenty of clothing, food and drink. I've been out today in glorious sunshine but with the wind it was absolutely freezing - plenty of layers, hat and gloves.

Also - IMPORTANT - this is a hobby of patience, be prepared to sit staring endlessly into a valley for LONG periods - 4 hours without aircraft is not unusual, these things are not like london buses, contrary to what the pictures suggest!

Hi all.

I can only re-iterate what Kev has already posted, anticipate the worst (regardless of the forecast) and take plenty of clothing, food and drink. I've been out today in glorious sunshine but with the wind it was absolutely freezing - plenty of layers, hat and gloves.

Also - IMPORTANT - this is a hobby of patience, be prepared to sit staring endlessly into a valley for LONG periods - 4 hours without aircraft is not unusual, these things are not like london buses, contrary to what the pictures suggest!

Agree 100%. I spent a day earlier this month in gale force winds and rain, from 8.00am until about 5.00pm without a single aircraft.
had a cracking time though! :LOL:

Be good to see what you get up there Ben if you start to use some of your motorsport style. Hopefully see something different than just a tightly cropped plane. (y)

Cheers mate, thats what Im planning to do, try and get a bit of variation in the shots if I can, might take a couple of goes to get used to the speed of them though!! Bit different to a WRC car on epynt!! :LOL:

Hi all.

Never a truer word said - and now the wind is from the North - winter coming I did a long 5 hours this week without a sign of anything ! :|

Hi Paul,

hi ben
i know the way up to cader e/w/corris corner (used to live near there and climbed cader a few times) although the details on lowfly.net are comprehensive. it would be great to meet up and get some tips off you (have admired your rally photos). when are you thinking of going?
paul

I have done this twice now and going again on 21st October it is incredible to see and capture, all websites quoted give excellent advice to newbies

J

hi ben
i know the way up to cader e/w/corris corner (used to live near there and climbed cader a few times) although the details on lowfly.net are comprehensive. it would be great to meet up and get some tips off you (have admired your rally photos). when are you thinking of going?
paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comments on the rally photos. (y) I would happily give you a few tips, im no expert but happy to help. I would love to meet up and get your expert view of the place, have you taken any shots of the aircraft yourself? Not sure exactly when Im going, but it will be in the next couple of weeks, if you fancy it? Where are you living now?

ben
i live in bow street, 4 miles north of aberystwyth. bear in mind the planes only fly mon-fri 9-5ish so a day off work would be required. never tried to photograph planes yet but i've not had a camera very long.
paul

Last edited:
Had my first visits to the Bwlch on Thursday and Friday. Awesome! Could only stay for the morning but got several shots of Hawks and one Herc. Will post my efforts next week when I get home.. Had to leave about half 12 on the Friday - had been all quiet for over two hours when four Hawks came through nose-to-tail as i was driving down that hill!

John

ben
i live in bow street, 4 miles north of aberystwyth. bear in mind the planes only fly mon-fri 9-5ish so a day off work would be required. never tried to photograph planes yet but i've not had a camera very long.
paul

Hopefully you got my email ben. ;)

Kev,

Many thanks, I did recieve the email, didnt realise it was such a hike, but Im a fit young (ish) lad, so it should be no problem. Hope to see you up there 1 day.

Paul,
Thats good then, be good to meet in aber and go up from there maybe? Yea I realise that, I work shifts so I get days off in the week anyway, so hopefully it will become a regular thing if I like it. (y) When were you thinking of going up?
Cheers
Ben

Just to add....

Take care when climbing over any fences, a lot of them are getting some abuse and we're only allowed to sit up on the hills as the farmers are pretty cool about it (at the mo).

Take your rubbish home with you, too many togs (and hill walkers) are leaving their rubbish around.

Take plenty of warm gear, then take some more, it gets cold up in the hills especially in the winter, -10 with a 25mph wind in your face for 7-8 hours will sort the men from the boys.

Good luck, looking forward to these 'different' pictures.

Mark

Last edited:
Just to add....

Take care when climbing over any fences, a lot of them are getting some absuse and we're only allowed to sit up on the hills as the farmers are pretty cool about it (at the mo).

Take your rubbish home with you, too many togs (and hill walkers) are leaving their rubbish around.

Take plenty of warm gear, then take some more, it gets cold up in the hills especially in the winter, -10 with a 25mph wind in your face for 7-8 hours will sort the men from the boys.

Good luck, looking forward to these 'different' pictures.

Mark

Thanks for that, not sure I will get any different pictures tbh, just looking at having a go at it to start with, get to grips with the speed ect, maybe one day I will try and get something different, but I expect most of it has been done before.

Forgot about the shelter! Def need one. You don't care how stupid you look up there either. Wear whatever keeps you warm:

DSC_1292.jpg

Me at the beginning of September. VERY cold that day!

Kev.

Its the eyes that gave me away isn't it. Damn!
I took a calculated guess Mark and after seeing what you have bought lately, decided that your wifes would have more money in it. ;)

Kev.

Be good to see what you get up there Ben if you start to use some of your motorsport style. Hopefully see something different than just a tightly cropped plane. (y)

I'm sure we'd all like to see some "different" shots, but trying to pan planes at ~500 mph or more and getting sharp shots is enough of a challenge to start with...

Ben, it certainly sharpens up your panning skills doing this! I've been up to the loop 6 times now and have had one blank, so be prepared to expect one it really is pot luck! I have count myself lucky to have gone up there when there happened to have been photocalls arranaged and we got some really good traffic! Apart from the other advice, another thing I'll say is if you're going up try and make a full day of it, get there early and try to be on the hill for about half 8 - 9. I went on Friday with Edd but we couldn't be bothered to wake up early and got there at around 1. Was pretty gutted to hear we'd missed a 2 ship of Typhoons, a Herc and a Tornado in the morning, but ho hum, we had some fun on the mountain road between Mach and Llanidloes :crying: :D :LOL:

One of these days I'll sort out some of my low fly shots and put them on here and Flickr, but don't hold your breath! :cautious: :LOL:

Thanks for all your help Guys. (y) I will be making the trip up to have a go probably wednesday next week 30/9/09, really looking forward to it. Hopefully I can meet a couple of you and get a few decent shots along the way.

Right then fellas, I am 100% making the journey up tp the Bwlch on wednesday, anyone else going to be up there? Ive heard people mentioning arranged photocalls, whats that all about? Is there any way to find out if there will be any flying taking place??

Hi Ben
Hope you get some traffic to get you hooked!
Is there any way to find out if there will be any flying taking place??
Its virtually pot luck, Only thing to worry about are NOTAM's which could effect traffic NOT FLYING through..
Noticed the gear you've got, what lens you thinking of using at the Bwlch?

Hi Ben
Hope you get some traffic to get you hooked!

Its virtually pot luck, Only thing to worry about are NOTAM's which could effect traffic NOT FLYING through..
Noticed the gear you've got, what lens you thinking of using at the Bwlch?

I hope so to!!
NOTAM's???? What is that?
Not updated my gear list in a while, so I will be using my canon 70-200mm f2.8 with a 1.4 converter to start with, will this be OK?

Back