Beginner Low key Macro... Engine piston

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Tried low key for the first time this evening - taken with my Canon 600D and 60mm Macro. I found that to get a decent depth of field with the macro lens I had to close it right down and expose for a couple of secs. The piston was in a light tent with black background, lighting was an LED torch laid on the desk outside the tent shining through the side. Shot in RAW, edited for contrast and sharpened in LR5...

Low key piston 2
by Rabc3, on Flickr

Low key piston 1
by Rabc3, on Flickr

As always with me, a bit of trial and error was involved - but whilst I'm reasonably happy with the results I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions for improvement - or just to hear your thoughts on them?

Cheers,

Rob

Lighting is fine but I think it really needs a con rod sat beside it just to make it clear it's a piston, or maybe a bit more light onto the topside to show valve reliefs if it has any or a view inside the skirt(!)...just something to give a bit more depth.

No problem (y) What's it out of anyway? seems to have a lot of ring grooves!

No idea! Its quite a chunk - 105mm dia and 130mm tall... It is marked with some serial / part numbers and 'WELLWORTHY' but I googled it ages ago to no avail.

**Edit: Here's one that I originally rejected as I didn't like the depth of field - but it shows the piston top and markings... **

IMG_6633-Edit.jpg
by Rabc3, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good results for first time at low-key. (y) It took me a while to find settings which pleased me. Agree with Alan's comments, and I quite like the last pic. A greater dof and it would be spot-on! I find 2 light sources helps in this type of shot, as you can balance the object with some lighting from the rear or side.

Last edited:
I just did a google... the first to come up was this

Wellworthy was a British piston factory

Back