low-light fashion photography

:runaway: Arghh! i've suddenly got very scared! she's arranged for all the models to meet 3hrs before the event and have some staged photos before the clients/customers/public/guests/Joe Bloggs get there.

yes this is a fabulous opportunity to get some really good shots of the girls and outfits, so that'll be ideal.
but.......:puke: what do I do? I've never even taken proper shots of couples before, let alone 2 dozen half naked ladies!

I need guidance....:help:

ooh, on the plus side I can hand out business cards which allow the models to buy prints of themselves for their own portfolios, can't I? I think I can upload the pictures via photobox's professional sales site (pro gallery), where you can pick the price and the clients can order prints, etc...

I wouldn't count too much on selling images to models mate, if they're not pros who get paid for modelling then they'll probably at least be well into TFCD and not used to paying for images.

If you think you're going to get more into this side of things you'd be as well giving the models a photo for free just to build contact with them in case you want to work with them again in the future.

Something else to consider is that although your friend isn't paying you she might not be very happy with you freely distributing images of her outfits without her knowledge. Although she might not have any rights to feel that way it won't stop her. If I were you I'd have a quick discussion before hand about what she wants to do with the images (to make sure you're happy) and tell her what you'd like to do with the images (to make sure she's happy), there's no point falling out afterwards because you didn't nail the details beforehand.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count too much on selling images to models mate, if they're not pros who get paid for modelling then they'll probably at least be well into TFCD and not used to paying for images.

If you think you're going to get more into this side of things you'd be as well giving the models a photo for free just to build contact with them in case you want to work with them again in the future.

Something else to consider is that although your friend isn't paying you she might not be very happy with you freely distributing images of her outfits without her knowledge. Although she might not have any rights to feel that way it won't stop her. If I were you I'd have a quick discussion before hand about what she wants to do with the images (to make sure you're happy) and tell her what you'd like to do with the images (to make sure she's happy), there's no point falling out afterwards because you didn't nail the details beforehand.

Couldn't agree more myself. a good point, well made.
However, i was still toying with the idea of getting some business cards knocked up with my pro gallery URL on, and telling them prints are available from there. may sell a handful, you never know...
She's already said she doesn't mind me watermarking the pictures that are going on her website, so I can do that in the bottom corner and sell them water-mark-free through photobox for a measly price (couple of quid profit per photo or something). or is that a waste of time?

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time but I wouldn't hold my breath either if I was you. Unless you're going to produce stuff better than they already have in their portfolios they're not going to be shelling out their hard earned for it. Incidentally, do you know what the models are getting in the way of compensation for their time?

Now that she has changed the game slightly I might be tempted to rope in a friend with some lights and a clue how to use them seeing as you've got a bit more time on your side now and it won't be all about running around with the flash on top of the camera. Just a thought.

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time but I wouldn't hold my breath either if I was you. Unless you're going to produce stuff better than they already have in their portfolios they're not going to be shelling out their hard earned for it. Incidentally, do you know what the models are getting in the way of compensation for their time?

Now that she has changed the game slightly I might be tempted to rope in a friend with some lights and a clue how to use them seeing as you've got a bit more time on your side now and it won't be all about running around with the flash on top of the camera. Just a thought.

Hmmm, i'll try and weed out what the deal is there. I know a lot of them are friends from uni, and are not models in a professional sense (although many of them could be IMHO). For the sake of a couple of hours effort I think I will do the site and business cards if she's Ok with that. I'll definitely check first though. :rules:

The ideas about what you'll do with the results are OK, but if I were you I'd be planning what to do to get those great shots in the first place.

Now you've got the time, have you got a: a location with natural light or b: a plan to light the location for studio type shots?

Once that's sorted, look through some fashion sites for tips on Posing / Lighting. I'm sure you can pull it off but you need to focus on what you've already acknowledged are your weaknesses.(y)

Wise words indeed Phil.

The ideas about what you'll do with the results are OK, but if I were you I'd be planning what to do to get those great shots in the first place.

Now you've got the time, have you got a: a location with natural light or b: a plan to light the location for studio type shots?

Once that's sorted, look through some fashion sites for tips on Posing / Lighting. I'm sure you can pull it off but you need to focus on what you've already acknowledged are your weaknesses.(y)

well, the coloured flash gels that were previously mentioned for background illumination, along with the pop-up for fill-flash sounds pretty good, especially as I managed to get the wireless flash set up and working last night.
Thankyou Flash_In_The_Pan! (y)

The alternative would be to chuck it on a set of cheap wireless triggers or better still, if you're nervous about using the flash in manual, a ttl cord...
This is probably quite a good idea. Sometime ago, I've seen someone build a small mobile lighting rig with a TTL cord, a telescopic rod, a shoot-through umbrella and its holder.

Keep the camera in your right, warp the TTL cord around the telescopic rod with the flashgun/umbrella and off you go, lighting people from whatever direction you prefer.

This is probably quite a good idea. Sometime ago, I've seen someone build a small mobile lighting rig with a TTL cord, a telescopic rod, a shoot-through umbrella and its holder.

Keep the camera in your right, warp the TTL cord around the telescopic rod with the flashgun/umbrella and off you go, lighting people from whatever direction you prefer.

That's not a bad idea, I was going to get hold of a TTL cord anyway. I was trying to decide what length is good. Surely TTL can only really work effectively if you have the flash mounted on the hotshoe? :thinking: if you are in TTL mode but the flashgun is on a stand 5m away behind to your right, you won't get correct metering anyway? just a thought.

That's not a bad idea, I was going to get hold of a TTL cord anyway. I was trying to decide what length is good. Surely TTL can only really work effectively if you have the flash mounted on the hotshoe? :thinking: if you are in TTL mode but the flashgun is on a stand 5m away behind to your right, you won't get correct metering anyway? just a thought.
TTL means "through the lens". I doesn't matter where your flash is, or in general where the light comes from. Of course the metering is only as good as the camera electronics and sometimes that 14/18% grey metering will "outsmart" you. That's what the exposure compensation and metering modes are for.

I think Flash in the Pan has some 5m cords on offer. That should be plenty and will give you freedom to move your umbrella construction. However, I haven't tried this myself, I'm just musing, but there isn't a sensible reason why it shouldn't work.

TTL means "through the lens". I doesn't matter where your flash is, or in general where the light comes from. Of course the metering is only as good as the camera electronics and sometimes that 14/18% grey metering will "outsmart" you. That's what the exposure compensation and metering modes are for.

I think Flash in the Pan has some 5m cords on offer. That should be plenty and will give you freedom to move your umbrella construction. However, I haven't tried this myself, I'm just musing, but there isn't a sensible reason why it shouldn't work.

Yep, Very true.
I know the basics of TTL, however do I have a valid point about the distance of the flash from the subject? if the flash is several meters away from the subject then it will be less intense than, say 3m away. regardless of where the camera is positioned :thinking:. am i right in thinking that the top end flash guns have the ability to set distance from subject?

For the umbrella on the stick idea then I understand that it will be ideal. (y)

Yes the light will be less intense the further away you move it for a given power setting (not to mention changes in relative size altering the shadows). Higher end flashguns don't let you set the distance in meters but what some do is give you a distance scale. You put in the ISO and aperture and it will tell you what distance it will expose correctly up to.

I've managed to get hold of a comprehensive set of flash Gels from my dad's ancient kit bag, but they are in excellent condition and I have managed to fashion a holder from the old slide-in/clip-on frame to allow it to fit my Nissin. :)

I've been playing around with it over the weekend, mainly illuminating the wall behind the subject and using fill-flash.

what other tips can you guys suggest for using coloured gels with on and off-camera flash use?

Another alternative is from colouring walls is to use some out of whack white balance for the background and using your flash as the key light, gel it so the subject appears the "right" colour.

Unfortunately the D40 i'm using doesn't have a wireless flash commander, and the nissin wouldn't work with it even if it did. :(

RF-602 triggers would fix that problem, of course you'll want to do some testing beforehand with the ambient lights set to how they'll be on the night, and have one or two substitutes standing in for where you expect the models to be to sort out your flash power if it's going to be remote in a fixed location.

How about if you can get the models to go somewhere with a little more light for an hour or so while you take the shots?

How about if you can get the models to go somewhere with a little more light for an hour or so while you take the shots?

Hmm... possibly, but there will be a lack of natural light as I won't get there until 7pm-ish. :thinking: i'll see what is about when I get there.

On the plus side though. my colleague dropped the 50mm f1.8 into me today, so I can have a play tonight and in the morning, it might help me get a few decent shots if the light is a bit adverse.:shrug:

I'm sure you can take a table lamp there or something, I think poundland even sell them kids night lights (battery powered)
Better than no light lol.

the nissin wouldn't work with it even if it did.

It also has wireless ettl/ittl at least the canon version does, I've used it with my canon commander.

Well, Sat night was the night, and I managed to get some decent shots (I hope) the backdrop for most of them was less than ideal, but I was suprised by how good the lighting was. I almost didn't bother taking my 70-300mm as I thought it would be too dark, but in the end I used it more than the 17-55.

The 50mm f/1.8 was a welcome accompaniment, but would have been a lot more useful had it been AF. I shot with it mainly at f/2.5 and f/2.8 to give me a bit of a buffer if my MF was a bit off, Can't really tell if it worked until I download them from the camera, but hey. some of the practice shots in daylight below f/2.5 were OOF. my dodgy eyesight prob doesn't help! :cool:

The off-camera flash ability was a godsend. the pictures looked so much more professional. But when the other two "friends" that were there with their DSLRs figured it was optical slave, & driven by their own on-board flash, they were soon asking if they could "borrow it for a minute". :cautious: grrrr. couldn't say no really. (i'm nice like that)

I used the Nissin on my tripod (I don't have a light/flash stand) which worked really well, and tried as many different techniques as I could think of.

All-in-all I was fairly happy with how things went. I was quite nervous going into it. I can't imagine how you wedding togs felt the first time on your own! lol. :eek:

As for the scope for selling anything, well, I'm not sure that'll work out so well. one of the "friends" was the organisers brother. A photography student with an EOS 1D and managed to take 800+ shots throughout the day, which he's giving all away for free. but you never know. I got some business cards knocked up with the gallery address on and handed them to the girls and bands (not that the girls really had anywhere to hide them, if you know what I mean) :LOL:

Last edited:
quite like no 3 and no 5, the others i'm not sure of, good start though!

Back