Low-light first dance and couple of kids

Radiohead

Mine sucks
Name
Guy
Edit My Images
No
From Saturday - pushing even the D3's here - 1/80s, f1.6 and ISO6400, all with the 50/1.4 AF-D. The shutter speeds meant I had to move in time with them and try and avoid blur where possible which looked quite bizarre

3035152543_64d746b1c4_o.jpg

3035988982_1a079383c3_o.jpg

3035989300_b40cb739df_o.jpg

And earlier in the day, a couple of the page-boys

3034365363_2b729afd7c_o.jpg

3034366227_3bb4e99789_o.jpg

#1 and 2 of the happy couple are very good, #3 I don't really like photos of peoples backs.
Just my opinion the photos of the children should be taken at their eye level (somthing I always do even with my arthritic knees lol). I just think it is better than looking down on them.

Jenny.

Great shots considering the conditions by the looks of it. I have to agree with jenny though, #3, although a nice idea is sligtly awkward. The children shots look good, great DOF but I dont like the angles.

But what do I know... great set all the while!

Thanks all - personally I think 3 works as it occurs at the end of the first dance sequence and shows the couple turning to their guests. I try to shoot with context rather than always include only the couple themselves.

The kids - again I'm going to disagree - the idea here was to really get the eyes in and they're on steps below me post-ceremony. You'll be happy to know there are plenty of shots of them at eye level though. This is also a handy way to avoid the throng of guests in their backgrounds ;)

Last edited:
Looks like you did a really good job in crappy light, they should be delighted with these, well done.

I don't think the light is crappy - it's just low level - there is a difference.
Really nice natural shots - what the D3 was made for. I wish someone had a shot of yu dancing with the camera though - that would be a sight to behold!

nice shots! i love the boys shots too- at that angle as well, stunning cripsness & colour in their eyes! curious to know if you used any post processing tricks!!!?

Not really Alex - I don't focus and recompose, meaning I can get great sharpness even at very wide apertures. They're converted in Lightroom 2.1, with a little clarity added. Otherwise as shot.

I love them all! (y)

The dance shots have such romance about them ... and not in the usual often very cheesy sense.
If it were me, Id possibly try and tone down a few screaming reflective highlights in the bg on some of them, but if you prefer not to touch up, thats fair enough.
I like the shots of the boys too. I know its de riguer to get down on their level, but sometimes this perspective shows that they are indeed 'little people' .. and at a big event, I personally think they work well.

If I were getting wed .. youd certainly be the kind of tog Id be looking for! :)

Thank you - the highlights are very tricky - they're lit by a band that were behind me and those lights are naturally problematic. The highlights in the backgrounds are small bulbs on the sides. Hey ho.

Great series of shots. As has been said, I love the dance shots most (y), must have been a big challenge to get that right without motion blur!

Back