Lowepro Magnum 400 AW

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
As part of my upgrade plan I recently bought a Nikon 200-500mm lens and now need a bag to carry it and my other gear in. I am confined to a wheelchair so a backpack is out of the question and I want to be able to use just a single bag. Searching has thrown up the Lowepro Magnum 400 AW as being large enough to hold the lens stood up vertically. It will mainly be used to take equipment to airshows but I'm confident everything else will fit. Does anyone use this combination and does it fit well?

I use a Lowpro flipside 500. It’s a rucksack

The specs say it will hold a 500 prime attached to a body. I have my 120 -300 with hood and usually fitted with a. 2x and it fits nicely down the centre and plenty of compartments for other lenses etc. I googled your magnum bag and it’s a shoulder type. Wouldn’t that be an awkward weight with a big lens in over one shoulder ?

Thanks for the suggestion but as I mentioned I'm confined to a wheelchair so anything on my back won't work and the weight isn't an issue as the bag can be hung on the back of the wheelchair.

Sorry I suffer from word blindness Only the ones that make people’s sentences make sense

I drive disabled children to school and most of the time they hang their rucksacks etc on the backs of their chairs and sometimes it doesn’t take much of a lean back to do a wheelie.

All the best

Hi Andy, I use a wheelchair too (Puma 40) and had similar problems with carrying my gear. Hanging stuff off the side is a non-starter as you know because you're screwed every time you have to go through a door. Stuff hanging on the back is difficult to get to, makes the chair unstable and is asking to have it stolen.

I'm afraid have no experience of the Magnum other than seeing a review on YouTube, but it looks like it may be heavy and uncomfortable if you intend to carry it on your lap.

I use two bags depending on the load I want to carry; the first is a Lowepro Inverse 200 AW - this sits on my lap nicely and will carry my camera, a spare lens and a flash (or third lens). The second is a Lowepro Flipside 400 AWII - I carry this on my chest and when I unzip it, it opens down on to my lap for easy access (the zip is on the inner part of the bag). This allows me to carry the camera with a Sigma 150-600 attached as well as carrying anything else I'm likely to need.

One thing I should mention, is that with either bag it can get a little uncomfortable and sweaty - especially if you load them up. The same goes for everyone carrying a bag I know, but obviously we can't relocate them like an AB person can.

Last edited:
Back