Lowepro slingshot

Name
Ron
Edit My Images
No
Hi all Im needing a wee bit info, I need a new bag to lug my street gear around ,I dont carry great load only F100 body a couple of lenses and a few filters and some film .
I am interested in the Lowepro Slingshot but cant decide on the 200 or 300 any opinions would be great .
Guid Health :beer::beer::beer::beer:

I've have had both - just buy the 300 and it will save you having to buy it in the future as your kit grows ;)

I also have both and would give the opposite advice to Dogfish. I personally prefer the 200 to the 300 even though it is smaller. The 200 is far more comfortable to wear and far easier to swivel the bag under your arm to access your camera from the side of the bag which is what the slingshot series is designed to do. I am a fairly big guy at 6ft4 but even I find the 300 too big to swivel under my arm so I usually end up taking it off my back to access my camera gear.

If you specifically need a larger bag to accommodate a couple of big lenses or a couple of bodies then go for the 300 and live with it's bulkiness. With the kit you currently have then you will be much better off with the 200.

I have the 200AW. If you get the chance see if you can give one a go before you buy. I think you either love them or hate them. Fully loaded these things are not comfortable as all the weight is on one shoulder (and you can't switch). I try to avoid using at all costs, even leaving it in the car and taking out just what I can carry at times. If you have lots to carry then I'd recommend a normal two shoulder back pack over one of these. All IMHO of course :)

I would say if you want the slingshot go for the 200, I stopped using mine as when it was full (a D80, 18-135, 70-300 VR, 105mm macro, 50mm + accs) it started to hurt my back as all the weight was on one shoulder. I would imagine the 300 as it holds more would be even worse when that was full.

I used to use the 100 aw with only a few lenses and it was fantastic. The smallness of the bag means you could not carry too much (though I managed a few lenses and a flash with a bit of care) If you want to haul a lot of stuff then a proper rucksack is probably better. Or what about the kata 3n1. Can do the slingshot left or right handed and converts too a rucksack too!

http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?Version=photo&p_Id=432

does not escape you from the size problem though :) there are 10,20 and 30 versions of the kata.

I'm very happy with my SS 200. It carries plenty enough for me for most shooting occasions....

20071215_223358_02785_LR.jpg

20071215_223316_02784_LR.jpg

There is room for a second flash in the top compartment as well. If I don't need flash the top compartment will take my 100-400 or my 70-200/2.8IS.

20090304_095934_0332_LR.jpg

When configured correctly access is pretty quick (for a backpack). Vid here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tOfWHWcUrA&feature=channel_page

wow I didnt think I could get as much in the front pocket as you have tdood. What have you got in there?

I like my SS200 but I plan on getting something larger and more professional sometime. Maybe I just love how the KATA bags are yellow inside :)

As depicted above I have a full set of Kenko macro tubes, a Kenko 1.4X teleconverter, a nifty fifty, some memory cards in a Sandisk pouch and a Cactus (eBay) wireless flash trigger and receiver - all in that little front pocket. It closes no problem.

In the top section, behind the flash, you can just about make out a leatherette pouch in the elasticated mesh pocket. That contains a Digimate III 120GB portable hard drive and flash card reader. (not my video)

:beer::beer::beer::beer:Thanks everyone i am going to have a look at both bags .
And Leaky I think Vic Reaves trolley would be great for my Medium format gear that hardly ever leaves the studio.,
Guid Health

Back