LTT

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
Managed to grab half an hour today, light was terrible again, so had to push the ISO up to 1600.

IMG_0336_edited-1red_edited-1.jpg

Thats a cracking shot considering the conditions and hi iso well done!

Great shot Dougie, as Elvis says you have done well under the conditions.

Regards: Gordon

That is a lovely pose Dougie and would agree with Mark that it is a little on the soft side. For 1600 iso it is pretty good.

I did sharpen it a bit, and it looked ok to me.
Am I correct in saying that you need to over sharpen for posting on the web?

Thanks for all you kind comments! I even cloned out a stray leaf for the first time, after 8 weeks I seem to be getting the hang of it!

I did sharpen it a bit, and it looked ok to me.
Am I correct in saying that you need to over sharpen for posting on the web?

Thanks for all you kind comments! I even cloned out a stray leaf for the first time, after 8 weeks I seem to be getting the hang of it!

Well I did not notice the leaf Dougie so you did good (y) Practice is all that it takes really, dont be frightened of having a go as this is the best way imo. Just like the photography side of things you will learn by your mistakes. Yes some extra shapening is usually the norm for web display, or instead of saving " As" try using the save for web & devices option if you have it. I did a quick edit. I did run it through Neat Image to reduce any noise that was there, upped the brightnes and contrast and then sharpened it once through Photoshop. Obviously all our eyes are different, but if you can see a slight improvement with this edit then you know that you may well have to apply a touch more sharpening than what you did. Being able to apply a touch more sharpening in camera is always another option as well mind.

IMG_0336_edited-1red_edited-1_filtered.jpg

Well I did not notice the leaf Dougie so you did good (y) Practice is all that it takes really, dont be frightened of having a go as this is the best way imo. Just like the photography side of things you will learn by your mistakes. Yes some extra shapening is usually the norm for web display, or instead of saving " As" try using the save for web & devices option if you have it. I did a quick edit. I did run it through Neat Image to reduce any noise that was there, upped the brightnes and contrast and then sharpened it once through Photoshop. Obviously all our eyes are different, but if you can see a slight improvement with this edit then you know that you may well have to apply a touch more sharpening than what you did. Being able to apply a touch more sharpening in camera is always another option as well mind.

Apologies for butting in Dougie :confused:
That looks good Rich - can I ask about 'Neat image' please ? :shrug:
John

Apologies for butting in Dougie :confused:
That looks good Rich - can I ask about 'Neat image' please ? :shrug:
John

You can check it out here John and download a trial version http://www.neatimage.com/ What you have to remember is that whilst it will eliminate noise if you have a bad case of it, it will smooth out fine detail as well. There are also a couple of other progs out there that you might want to try as well.

Its a well taken image of certainly one of my favourite little birds (y). I do agree that it needs a little sharpening though. Rich's edit is good, however I do feel he has taken the sharpening just a tad too far, not by a lot, but..., it does help to show the difference though Dougie.

I would ask Rich about in camera sharpening though, and while it can be done for sure, if your shooting in RAW, do you not feel its advantageous to remove all in camera processing, and do everything to your own preferences in PP so that you have complete control of the final image, this is the main point, and advantage of using RAW as I understand it.

And John, I have just downloaded a trial of Neat Image, so far it looks like an improvement over my previous software and I am thinking of buying a full copy now to give me the full program. One advantage that I see is that you have quite a lot of choices of adjustments to help keep details and still remove noise.

Dougie, there are some useful tips on this thread HERE, post #14 deals with resizing and sharpening for the web (y)

Its a well taken image of certainly one of my favourite little birds (y). I do agree that it needs a little sharpening though. Rich's edit is good, however I do feel he has taken the sharpening just a tad too far, not by a lot, but..., it does help to show the difference though Dougie.

I would ask Rich about in camera sharpening though, and while it can be done for sure, if your shooting in RAW, do you not feel its advantageous to remove all in camera processing, and do everything to your own preferences in PP so that you have complete control of the final image, this is the main point, and advantage of using RAW as I understand it.

And John, I have just downloaded a trial of Neat Image, so far it looks like an improvement over my previous software and I am thinking of buying a full copy now to give me the full program. One advantage that I see is that you have quite a lot of choices of adjustments to help keep details and still remove noise.

Good points Trev and I can only say imo it depends how well the camera settings do the job compared to what you can do in PP :shrug: even if you are shooting RAW. I know people will say your settings dont mean anything in RAW Blah! Blah! :D but I still try to set it up as near to what I want which gives me less to worry about in PP. The shots I done in the Fab Four thread whilst shot at 800iso still has iso noise reduction set as standard in camera.

Good points Trev and I can only say imo it depends how well the camera settings do the job compared to what you can do in PP :shrug: even if you are shooting RAW. I know people will say your settings dont mean anything in RAW Blah! Blah! :D but I still try to set it up as near to what I want which gives me less to worry about in PP. The shots I done in the Fab Four thread whilst shot at 800iso still has iso noise reduction set as standard in camera.
The fab four was certainly a good set. Bearing your comments in mind, it would be interesting to see one of the originals out of camera to compare with the final image after NR has been applied in NI.

I like the original but agree that the image could do with a touch of extra sharpening.....something closer to Rich's edit would make it look better to the eye.

This is the original, before I done my first ever cloning on the offending leaf.
I am getting to like this!
Rich, you have done a great job!

IMG_0336_edited-1red.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Rich & Trev (& Dougie).
I doubt anyone would argue the fact that the detail is already there and just needs bringing out a bit as without it it would be a non runner in my book ?.
At the moment I open mine as RAW in PS then tinker about trying to get the histogram thingy right, then adjust it some more in PS ending with the sharpening (probably auto) only to find a mess of backround noise. Then lacking the photoshop skills proceed to lose the backround noise/speckle and in doing so lose any detail on the edge of the subject finally considering taking a large blunt object to the computer and beating it to within an inch of its memory board ! :bat: :bang:

But its not all bad as I have picked up some pointers from yourselves (and Roy C ) today to put to good use.
John

Last edited:
Thanks Rich & Trev (& Dougie).
I doubt anyone would argue the fact that the detail is already there and just needs bringing out a bit as without it it would be a non runner in my book ?.
At the moment I open mine as RAW in PS then tinker about trying to get the histogram thingy right, then adjust it some more in PS ending with the sharpening (probably auto) only to find a mess of backround noise. Then lacking the photoshop skills proceed to lose the backround noise/speckle and in doing so lose any detail on the edge of the subject finally considering taking a large blunt object to the computer and beating it to within an inch of its memory board ! :bat: :bang:

But its not all bad as I have picked up some pointers from yourselves (and Roy C ) today to put to good use.
John
:D John, try selective sharpening. Select the subject in PS, then invert the selection. You can then use filters to reduce noise. Invert the selection again and apply sharpening. This way you only apply NR to only the BG and sharpening to just the subject.

I think Rich's rework really brings it alive. Good basic image too.(y) Hope you don't mind Doug, but its such a great shot, i had to have a go. Working from your original.
IMG_0336_edited-1red.jpg

Last edited:
Don't mind at all Frank! It gives me a reference point to aspire to. I have been very happy with some of the basic images I have taken, the smoking Robin was another one.
I just need to concentrate on the post editing part, to get the results I would like.

Once again, I would just like to thank everyone for their comments and tips, it's nice to know you guys are here, if I need any advice.

Back