Lucy - First Portrait

Name
Adele
Edit My Images
Yes
My friend said she'd happily sit for me whilst I clicked about with my camera. However, when I got there she was full of cold and in a foul mood. I however, no idea of what I was actually doing, and wanting to test my lansolite backgrounds, decided to just shoot her being moody anyway. :LOL: And really she always looks like this!

1486185220_7de1c4d638.jpg

Techy Stuff : 1/60, F8.0, 55mm, ISO 800
As for lighting, I ended up using in-built flash and the main light in her bedroom!!

Any help?! :thinking:

Remember, I still havent got any editing software on my computer, so they're all as they come out of the camera!!!

Hi Adele,

DiddyDave's the man for expert portrait advice, but I can maybe add a little something here too.

Try not to shoot straight onto the subject from the front, and ask the model to turn to the side which will result in a more flattering image. For better portrait work, I'd suggest you also need some additional lighting. Try using some flash to the side and you will get some nice highlighting of your friends hair etc.

This image to me also looks slightly underexposed and you've lost the top of her head!!! :)

It would also pay you to try to get a copy of Elements or Photoshop and start playing with post processing stuff.. :)

Good luck

Hi Adele,

DiddyDave's the man for expert portrait advice, but I can maybe add a little something here too.

Try not to shoot straight onto the subject from the front, and ask the model to turn to the side which will result in a more flattering image. For better portrait work, I'd suggest you also need some additional lighting. Try using some flash to the side and you will get some nice highlighting of your friends hair etc.

This image to me also looks slightly underexposed and you've lost the top of her head!!! :)

It would also pay you to try to get a copy of Elements or Photoshop and start playing with post processing stuff.. :)

Good luck

I had some photo's of her to the side, but I had really harsh shadows from her hair. I know I'd lost the top of her head, but as I said I was just playing about...lol. [I'd only had my camera two-days too]

I havent bought any extra lighting, because I do not have anywhere to store it at home...and its not something that I'm wanting to do constantly [potraits]

As for my elements...I ordered it from QVC [it was cheaper] and it's got lost in the post. So....it may be another three weeks I'm without til we've claimed for it.
Either that or....I'm going to be spending the extra bit of money....begrudingly, to get it next week.....:|

You're doing well for just having had the camera - the best advice I can give you si to keep clicking away and asking in here for help and advice.

Here's a very quick draft having received some adjustments from Photshop and Lightroom. There's still loads I could do to it, and what I have done was rushed, but you'll see what i mean. I've lightened the entire image, especially the face and hair, and applied a bit of sharpening for web based images.

girl2.jpg

OK, I shall have a peek... check out my site (in sig) too for some portrait shots. If you want to see some more, PM me and I'll send a password to one of the client galleries where there are many more of my portrait shots.

Your sig aint there! lol <looks for it>

if you look at his 1st post its there at the bottom

nice 1st effort on the portrait..(y)

if you look through all the threads in people and portraits you will get some very good info....

md(y)

Back