lumiquest softboxes or similar - anyone know anything ?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking at getting either the mini or the standard softbox to go with my 580. Anyone got or tried one - do they do the job well, and is the bigger one worth the extra bulk ?
Thanks,
Steve

Just to clarify - I am talking about the things that sit on your flashgun, look like a small tv and give a much larger and softer light source

My general impression is that they're never as soft as you hope they'll be but if there's nothing else to bounce off of then it's certainly a lot better than using direct flash. The effect is a lot better if you're close to the subject as well, more than a few feet away and you really notice the softness dropping away.

Hmm - I recently took some pictures at an event where the glass ceiling was about 15metres and the room was 30 metres across - not a thing to bounce or reflect from, and despite my stofen, the lighting was pretty harsh. Not ideal ! I am doing a wedding soon in Spain, so there may be lots of low sun, thus harsh shadows, and I am wondering if one will help much with fill flash, as if I get the sun behind the subjects, I can light the faces, plus have a decent size catchlight. Then, later, when dark, but in an open room I can use it again to light but without too much by way of harshness.
That sound about right ??

Shadows from a high sun are worse, dark eyes, etc. Don't know if the catch light size would be that noticable. Another thing to consider is how it will work shooting portrait orientation.

If only someone would make a brolly for on camera flash so we can have bounced flash in anywhere and everywhere. Maybe you should have a Blue Peter moment ;)

Me ? - a blue peter moment ? - just spent an hour trying to make my avatar wear a blooming hat..!

Nice job though Steve - brushing up the old PS skills?!?!

PS ? PS skills ? - not me - elements 2 on this pc, but I used windows paint (for the first time ever !)

If you redirect the light via a good (D-I-Y) reflector onto the subject, you effectively have a softbox the size of that reflector!

Agree with chappers. Played with these not long ago and the effect was pleasing. Only good though for relatively close shots - I couldnt vouch for the light under harsh conditions, especially that time of day Steve.

How harsh was the light from the 580? No way you could have diffused it a little more?

Back