M2 SSD heatsinks?

Edit My Images
No
I have noted in the manual for the selected new build motherboard that though it has 3 off M2.SSD slots only one has a supplied heatsink!

As I intend to install 2 of M2's I need another heatsink to do my best to protect the M2 SSD.

I have looked and found a wide range of makes and variants..................so to the question.

Have any other TPers boughtsuch 3rd party M2 heatsinks and if which ones would you recommend :thinking:

TIA for the feedback :)

Having never bought an ssd card for my pc I'm abit in your situation. However, having a quick look on Amazon I've noticed that you can buy an M2 ssd card with a heatsink already fitted. If you already have an ssd card then I would suggest getting a heatsink from a well known manufacturer if you can.

If you haven't bought them yet - buy one without a heatsink for your supplied heatsink slot, and then one with an integral heatsink for the one that just gets mounted 'as is'.

I had a £5 one from Amazon on my PC before I sold it. Basically they are just a piece of aluminium with a thermal piece of tape that sticks on the ssd.
Prices vary from a fiver to twenty quid but in the end they all are just metal and tape.

Unless you get a one of THESE but you will need a big case :)

No need to buy any extra heatsinks for your M.2/NVMe SSD, the benefits they provide are negligible

I never bothered buying them for my build last summer. 6 months on and no noticeable issues.

Having never bought an ssd card for my pc I'm abit in your situation. However, having a quick look on Amazon I've noticed that you can buy an M2 ssd card with a heatsink already fitted. If you already have an ssd card then I would suggest getting a heatsink from a well known manufacturer if you can.
I have bought a couple of Crucial P3 M2.SSDs

My thinking is always to keep hot things cool in my computer..................my current rig has four HHDs and the case fans blow room air over them all the time ;)
I had a £5 one from Amazon on my PC before I sold it. Basically they are just a piece of aluminium with a thermal piece of tape that sticks on the ssd.
Prices vary from a fiver to twenty quid but in the end they all are just metal and tape.

Unless you get a one of THESE but you will need a big case :)
Yes, I saw those....................and can only surmise that for a gaming rig with overclocked CPU etc that heat may be more of an issue ???
No need to buy any extra heatsinks for your M.2/NVMe SSD, the benefits they provide are negligible
Thanks, for the insight.....the case I have in mind will provide a decent airflow across that region of the motherboard.
I never bothered buying them for my build last summer. 6 months on and no noticeable issues.
A good point..............I will have to monitor the temps.

Edit ~
With two SSDs, one with Heatsink and one without (by motherboard design?!) it will be interesting to see what if any(?) difference in running temperatures there might be :thinking:

Last edited:
Heatsink’d SSD’s are useful in micro builds, consoles and the like.

Not forgetting some builds rely on water-cooling to the point of having no airflow in the case except for the radiator.

They have a purpose and there are benefits, but it’s unlikely anybody here needs one tbh

I’ve got a WD Black M2 and I can vouch it does get a bit toasty with massive IOPS

Back