M42 lenses - Best that you can get...

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Is there a webiste anywhere that has a complete (read lots) of choices for m42 lenses and which ones are the better quality?

I have a hoya135/f2.8 which is ok at the moment and am looking for 28mm-35mm prime plus a zoom of around 300 or 400 depending which would be better...

Here's my list I'm watching on ebay. Problem is budget, I can't go over around 40 max and preferably aroundt he 20ukp for each lens... Any of these worth chasing?

Helios 28mm Wide Angle Lens Pentax Praktica M42 Screw Helios 28mm Wide Angle Lens Pentax Praktica M42 Screw
28mm f2.8 M42 LENS FITS CANON EOS, PENTAX K* - NICE! 28mm f2.8 M42 LENS FITS CANON EOS, PENTAX K* - NICE!
SUN MC Wide Auto 28mm 1:2.5 Lens,M42? Screw Fit - B49 SUN MC Wide Auto 28mm 1:2.5 Lens,M42? Screw Fit
Carl Zeiss Jena M42 fit 29mm f2;8 Lens Carl Zeiss Jena M42 fit 29mm f2;8 Lens
Carl Zeiss Jena DDR flektogon 2.8 / 35mm Zebra Lens M42 Carl Zeiss Jena DDR flektogon 2.8 / 35mm Zebra Lens M42
Soligor C/D Auto 35mm f2 Lens Pentax M42 Fit Case & Box Soligor C/D Auto 35mm f2 Lens Pentax M42 Fit Case & Box
M42 screw CHINON TOMIOKA 35MM F2.8 WIDE ANGLE LENS
M42 MOUNT AUTO CHINON 2.8 / 35mm WIDE ANGLE LENS. EXC.
M42 Prinzflex (Tomioka) 35mm f2.8 adapt > EOS K 4/3 etc M42 Prinzflex (Tomioka) 35mm f2.8 adapt > EOS K 4/3 etc

300/480mm M42 TELEPHOTO LENS FITS PENTAX K, CANON EOS* 300/480mm M42 TELEPHOTO LENS FITS PENTAX K, CANON EOS*

PrinzGalaxy 400mm f6.3 Telephoto Lens. M42 / Screw fit.
Huge Hanimex 400mm prime lens - M42 adapts Canon & Sony Huge Hanimex 400mm prime lens - M42 adapts Canon & Sony
400/1200/2000mm Tele Lens DIGI Pentax Canon EOS20 -400D 400/1200/2000mm Tele Lens DIGI Pentax Canon EOS20 -400D

Starblitz Auto Tele Converter 2X for PS M42 Adapter Starblitz Auto Tele Converter 2X for PS M42 Adapter

I have just bought myself a Asahi Pentax 135mm F3.5 SMC Takumar Lens, the Super Multi-Coated Version.

Under your budget and a great lens, better and cheaper then Carl Zeiss Jena IMO.

All Super/SMC/Super-Multi-Coated Takumars are generally excellent.

The Pentacon 135/2.8 is great (two major versions...preset for bokeh and electric/auto for sharpness), Pentacon 50/1.8 is pretty good too if mechanically sound.

Yashica lenses in M42 mount are also very good. As are Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses (which go for very little!!).

Ahoy!

I've used a fair number of M42 lenses, and I found the Jupiter brand to be the best, though you need the model version with an alpha-numeric model number, so 11A instead of 11 as these are much better quality and Jupiter lenses also have between 12 - 15 curved aperture blades. Others to look at closely are Helios, Pentacon and Pentax Takumar. The best resource for M42 lenses is Pentaxforums (it's an M42 version of the Dyxum lens section for Sony/Minolta lenses), and you'll get all the specs, user reviews and image samples, though also search Flickr as there is likely to be a specific lens page with image samples posted.

I'm sure you'll be able to research each make/model/type subject to your needs, though I would advise you buy a chipped adapter as opposed to a plain one so you'll at least get focus confirmation. One of the best kits to get is the Photosniper. Just search on eBay and the interweb, and as part of the kit, you also get a Helios 58/2 prime lens, though I would advise you don't use the main items in a public place as you'll be surrounded by gun toting police (you work it out once you've looked at what's included and how it's mounted), though they were used for covert surveillance by both the former East German Stasi and the Soviet KGB, but as a kit, it's the best bang for buck set-up you'll likely find, but be selective as it should come in a metal case that includes the TAIR 300/4.5, Photosniper stock, lens strap, Helios 58/2, filters, film roll containers, user manual and a couple of tools. There's plenty of info online about it with images. I bought mine for GBP £60.00 which was cased complete with English instructions AND the original warranty card plus purchase receipt, so it's a super buy if it's something that you would like to have some fun with. I use the Sony A850 full frame DSLR and in my camera menu, there's an option called 'Release W/O Lens' and it needs to set to ON, otherwise, as M42 lenses have no contacts, the camera will think there's no lens attached and therefore the shutter button will be locked, so by setting the option to ON, it allows the shutter button to work. Users of other brands may have a similar camera menu setting option, so check your user manual first.

I hope this helps, and maybe keep us up to speed with what you decide on.

Happy hunting!

theres a adaptall 60 to 300 , with a macro mode thats pretty good

tamrons have a rich colour to them, some does my russian 135 f4, while pentacon seems more muted... i have a 135 and 300mm f4 huuuge lens

wide angle m42 era stuff tends to be harder to find decent ones cheap as m43 users want them, and quite simply alot of lenses wherent that good in that area, but the 50mm and above are pretty safe :)

adaptall and t2 stuff will even fit on nikon, which is nice :)

I liked Vivitar lenses made by Komine if using zooms. I had the 28-105 and 70-210mm both very good lenses and f2.8. You can find them as the serial numbers start with 28. Linky > https://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm

I have also had Vivitar in 135 & 200mm prime one by Tokina and other by Komine and these were both excellent performers.

The Helios 58mm f2 already mentioned was my favourite lens, mine was the newer one with a coating I believe and had the six blades.??

I was using mine on Fuji CSC and another fitting I liked was Canon FD. I had a lovely Tokina 100-300mm f4 in this mount and it was an outstanding performer.

I have also had a few of the Tamron Adaptall and these can represent good value. As mentioned the Pentacon's & Tairs can also be good for the money.

I have probably owned over 60 manual focus lenses over the last few years and been using them on Fuji, you can get them for cheapish money and if they don't work out you can sell them again, for little, or no money loss. Part of the fun experimenting.

Last edited:
Back