M42 Meyer Optik 29mm f2.8, any good ??

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, anyone own this lens, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Orestegon 29mm f2.8.

Any good and is it worth adding to my M42 collection.

Thanks in advance.

I've only owned the Pentacon 30mm, but have always read about Orestegon, Lydith and similar lenses and the general opinion for Orestegon is:- Quality varies i.e it can be VG or less so but if you get it cheap why not try it?

I've only owned the Pentacon 30mm, but have always read about Orestegon, Lydith and similar lenses and the general opinion for Orestegon is:- Quality varies i.e it can be VG or less so but if you get it cheap why not try it?

Thanks Brian,

When you say cheap, what should I be looking to spend on one in fair condition.

Thanks Brian,

When you say cheap, what should I be looking to spend on one in fair condition.

Unfortunately there are now too many digital buyers on the bay for old lenses, well I don't know what is cheap for you.........but I'd go for a Lydith and see if you can get one for £20-£30 (if money is no problem you could go higher).
But remember with all old lenses they do vary in quality and that is why some praise a lens and some are not impressed, but my Pentacon 30mm was very sharp.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are now too many digital buyers on the bay for old lenses, well I don't know what is cheap for you.........but I'd go for a Lydith and see if you can get one for £20-£30 (if money is no problem you could go higher).
But remember with all old lenses they do vary in quality and that is why some praise a lens and some are not impressed, but my Pentacon 30mm was very sharp.

Many Thanks Brian.

Good luck Chris in getting your lens for peanuts......... and also there are stacks of 28mm lenses to choose from. ;)

Got myself a Meyer Optik 29mm f/2.8 for £ 26.00! Comes with a .........

Praktica MTL3 SLR

Pentacon 50mm f/1.8.

Cimako 200mm f/3.5

Aico Auto 3X Converter.

Extension tubes

BDB sky planoptic filter

Kenko Y2 yellow filter

Im Happy! :D

Bargain! I would need a FD to EOS Adapter which I believe are not cheap.

Have read somewhere that using an adapter, you cant focus to infinity, would you know if this id true?

You can only get infinity with an adapter with a lens in it, but the problem is:- you would need a Canon one (which has quality lens) to prevent the deterioration in IQ of the FD lens, the next problem is that the Canon one is rare as hen's teeth and very expensive. :eek:

excalibur2 said:
You can only get infinity with an adapter with a lens in it, but the problem is:- you would need a Canon one (which has quality lens) to prevent the deterioration in IQ of the FD lens, the next problem is that the Canon one is rare as hen's teeth and very expensive. :eek:

Not to mention that it only works with a few FD lenses, mainly telephoto L series. Details on this link http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/canon_fd_eos_adapters.html.

Of all the various camera/lens mount systems, the FD system really does offer an excellent amount of value and it is amongst the cheapest of film gear at the moment...

Of all the various camera/lens mount systems, the FD system really does offer an excellent amount of value and it is amongst the cheapest of film gear at the moment...

Agree, but I'm hearing the downside is the FD to ESO adapter. Lots of cheap adapters available but do they takeaway
lens performance?

Agree, but I'm hearing the downside is the FD to ESO adapter. Lots of cheap adapters available but do they takeaway
lens performance?

If they don't have a lens in them and are well made and you are prepared to use a FD lens up to about 10 feet (I'm guessing the distance limitation) there shouldn't be a problem. But if you like film why not get a FD camera :shrug:

lens performance?

The adapter I use was made by Hoya and cost £17.00 in 2007 and in my opinion it is pretty good, but judge for yourself, this picture was taken with the Canon FD 50mm F1.4 using the adapter.

IMG_1185_1.jpg

John:)

Hi Chris. I used Practika cameras back in the 60's. My favourite combination for my style of photography then was a matched pair of Super TL's. The Lydith was the usual lens, but I changed them for the Orestagons. They were much better IMO. This was quite a nostalgia trip for me! Thanks

Found this for you Chris...shot from my meyer 50mm f1.8 (similar to Pentacon):-

Meyer50mm-1000px.jpg

The adapter I use was made by Hoya and cost £17.00 in 2007 and in my opinion it is pretty good, but judge for yourself, this picture was taken with the Canon FD 50mm F1.4 using the adapter.

IMG_1185_1.jpg

John:)

Superb! Love the warm colours of the lens.

Found this for you Chris...shot from my meyer 50mm f1.8 (similar to Pentacon):-

Meyer50mm-1000px.jpg

I'll be over the moon if mine is as good as that.

I collected my camera this even and its MINT! As are the lenses, can't believe my luck, felt like I was robbing the guy when I handed him over £26 for a box full of goodies.

Anyway, film loaded in camera and ready to go! Brings back a lot of memories as this was my first SLR.

Hi Chris. I used Practika cameras back in the 60's. My favourite combination for my style of photography then was a matched pair of Super TL's. The Lydith was the usual lens, but I changed them for the Orestagons. They were much better IMO. This was quite a nostalgia trip for me! Thanks

My first camera was a Practika back in the late 70's, but can't remember which lens it came with. I only owned (afford) one lens so you would have thought I'd remember lol

I'll be over the moon if mine is as good as that.

I collected my camera this even and its MINT! As are the lenses, can't believe my luck, felt like I was robbing the guy when I handed him over £26 for a box full of goodies.

Anyway, film loaded in camera and ready to go! Brings back a lot of memories as this was my first SLR.

Thanks for the compliment....Now the fun starts for choosing neg or pos colour film, or try B/W... if you find it all enjoyable then next maybe try medium format (y)

Back