[Mac] Backup Warning

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a little warning for Mac users although I guess the same might apply to Windows users too.

I have a late 2009 iMac with a 1TB HD with about 650GB of stuff on it. As well as a Time Machine backup onto a 1.5TB external HD, which I've been running since I bought the iMac, I decided to use a 1TB Western Digital external HD to backup my Pictures, Music and Movies folders only, currently amounting to about 550GB.

I installed the WD backup software and set it off to backup those three folders the night before last, which it duly did.

This morning doing some work in Lightroom, the program did the "Quit Unexpectedly" thing because my iMac HD was out of space. It was reporting only a few MB :shake: of space remaining. But in the Finder, the folders only added up to the correct 650GB of space.

What had happened was that as well as backing up on to the external WD HD, the WD backup program had also written duplicates of exactly the same files back to the Volumes folder on my iMac internal HD. :eek:

I used Tinker Tool to look at the hidden system files and it took a bit of digging around to find the culprit and in the end, I just trashed the extra folder on the iMac, emptied the trash, formatted the WD HD and uninstalled the WD backup software.

The iMac is now ticking along nicely (y) but I thought I'd just flag this in case anyone else gets the "hard disc full but it's not full" problem on a Mac.

Last edited:
Back