MAC help needed

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks

I have just changed my laptop over to a mac and I am impressed so I now want to change over my desktop computer. I have been looking today at some new ones but they are a bit over my budget at the moment.

My question is: what are the pitfalls with a used Mac desktop and is there anytime to watch out for and can they be upgraded etc

Why dont you go for a Mac Mini?
If you have a monitor already then this would be the easiest option for you. Brand new for £500 in PC world today or much cheaper for second hand on ebay and the likes.

Upgrading is easy if you go for a Mac or Mac Pro, iMac on the other hand is a little more difficult and one that requires a fair amount of knowledge to change the hard drive etc.

I need to upgrade the monitor at the same time, and want to go for 20 inch

My question is: what are the pitfalls with a used Mac desktop and is there anytime to watch out for and can they be upgraded etc

My desktop mac was purchased from eBay. Rock solid G5 tower, does what I want, and have had no problems. I would say the pitfalls are the same as buying anything electronic at distance.

Budget of about £500 at moment

You would probably need to stick another £100 on top of that if you wanted a decent aluminium 20" iMac. If you dont mind the older white models then you will get a decent model for £500

Thanks..dont mind spending another £100 or so

I have and use a Mac and they far outway PC's (which I used for years).
The programs you use on PC's are available on Mac's too so no lose there.

They are expensive but like most things you get what you pay for. Unlike PC's I have found is you wont need to keep upgrading every 6 months, so in the long term much better value for money.

My advice get the best you can afford and shop around - you wont go back ;)

One thing to consider is that at some point Apple changed the 20" iMac screens to 6bit colour, rather than 8bit. I guess if you are looking at getting a 2nd hand one it would be best to get one from before the change...

There's no downside that I can see in using one as desktop. I moved over several years ago, and would never buy a another Windows machine again.

Get over to the apple reburb store; you won't regret it most likely. Apple customer service isn't really too bad, which can't be said of Microsoft.

Apple service is excellent, if you buy new get aplecare it has saved me a fortune.

I had an old powerbook laptop and the screen went so I took the whole screen off and now use it with a 22" monitor, actually works great.

The iMac is a cool choice as they are an all-in-one type of thing, the screen quality is amazing.

enjoy

Thanks Guys.Just been onto the apple store and at the moment they have no desktops in store on the refurbished side, but i will keep trying. They estimate a 15% saving on new so they may be slightly out of my range anyway.

I have a refurbed 17" macbook pro and honestly can't tell the difference between this and a new mac, except I saved loads!!! Can't recommend enough. As the other post says - go check it out, there may be something there. With your budget *** I think it's a mac mini + non mac display. Good luck!

Thanks SW but I think I am not going to wait a couple of months and buy the i mac 24 inch.its wicked !!

Back