Mac Mini to Monitor. What do you use?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, for those using a Mac Mini. What do use cable connection wise?
I have a Benq monitor SW270C with 3 options, HDMI, USB-C and DP
I am assuming the DP is the best option to connect but before buying that cable just want to make sure.
Thank you,
Russ.

My wife uses HDMI for both her Mac Mini and a Beelink mini. The monitor seems happy with that.

Hi, for those using a Mac Mini. What do use cable connection wise?
I have a Benq monitor SW270C with 3 options, HDMI, USB-C and DP
I am assuming the DP is the best option to connect but before buying that cable just want to make sure.
Thank you,
Russ.

I use a Benq SW272U monitor and a Mac Mini M2 Pro and it is my understanding from Benq that USB-C is the preferred option when connecting these devices together..

Last edited:
I would tend to choose displayport because it has good data throughput and a physically more substantial connector, often with a lock in the plug. USB-C is a more advanced connector, but do you need the additional bandwidth and features?

I would tend to choose displayport because it has good data throughput and a physically more substantial connector, often with a lock in the plug. USB-C is a more advanced connector, but do you need the additional bandwidth and features?
Hi, no suppose I don't need the extras that come with attaching to the DP but for what the cost of the Mini and the monitor are just thought may as well get the best option I can throughout. Thank You, Russ

Hi, no suppose I don't need the extras that come with attaching to the DP but for what the cost of the Mini and the monitor are just thought may as well get the best option I can throughout. Thank You, Russ

To give it a different spin, all 3 will work fine, likely give the same image quality etc. HDMI is an older, low bandwidth tech, so if you every upgrade then you *may* find it's not good enough for the newer kit. Displayport is purpose-designed for displays, but is also aging, though it's much more capable than HDMI, and as I said, the connectors are chunky and may lock into their ports. USB-C is the fastest, newest tech of the 3, but I'm already finding some of my USB-C connectors aren't as solid as I'd like with phones. So for me, I'd pick the DP simply because it's likely to give a reliable and long-lasting connection.

To give it a different spin, all 3 will work fine, likely give the same image quality etc. HDMI is an older, low bandwidth tech, so if you every upgrade then you *may* find it's not good enough for the newer kit. Displayport is purpose-designed for displays, but is also aging, though it's much more capable than HDMI, and as I said, the connectors are chunky and may lock into their ports. USB-C is the fastest, newest tech of the 3, but I'm already finding some of my USB-C connectors aren't as solid as I'd like with phones. So for me, I'd pick the DP simply because it's likely to give a reliable and long-lasting connection.
At the end of the day it is a connection between a monitor and Mac Mini rather than a phone where the connectors are presumably regularly being removed and re-connected. The USB-C cables or indeed the Display port cables I have used for my older BenQ monitor never move from one day to the next. I would assume it is the same for most people with such kit….

I have not watched the video but I will mention that Apple's implementation of HDMI has at times strayed from the official HDMI versions which has caused re occurring problems for one of our clients, it would seem that the older Intel Minis are more HDMI complaint than the newer M processor Minis.

I have not watched the video but I will mention that Apple's implementation of HDMI has at times strayed from the official HDMI versions which has caused re occurring problems for one of our clients, it would seem that the older Intel Minis are more HDMI complaint than the newer M processor Minis.

They did something similar with USB a decade ago, and many non-apple USB devices that worked fine in everything else refused to be recognised by a Mac.

Interesting thread, I'd never actually thought about it. My monitor is nothing too special - something from Acer - but I tend to default to HDMI for monitors. As I'm thinking of a monitor upgrade for photography work, I'll go USB-C when I do. Thanks OP for asking the question and to others for your advice

Bit of a hijack but having recently bought a Mac Mini and a 27inch (why still Inches?) Benq 4K monitor this was a useful thread and I have connected using USB-C. However when I set the resolution to 3840 x 2160 Pixels in the display options, the text and windows etc were far too small. Having done some research, today I selected one of the other options and I have ended up with:

BenQ PD2705U:

Resolution: 5120x2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 60.00Hz

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Is this what others are using or I am I missing something?

I run my macs at 1920x1080 on a 4k display, it sounds like low resolution but it is actually at 2x so the interface looks like it is at 1920x1080, but it is actually using the native resolution of the display.

How do you get a 5K resolution from a 4K monitor ???

are you using switchres ???

Switchres is an app that you use to change resolution on Macs, it lets you do things that apple will not let you through displaypreferences.

Switchres is an app that you use to change resolution on Macs, it lets you do things that apple will not let you through displaypreferences.
Is the App actually called Switchres as I can't seem to find it in the App Store? Nothing new there though... just another grey hair day :)

The Max Res of the PD2705U is 3840 x 2160 so I don't know what you are seeing but it won't be native.
If the screen has been detected correctly by the Mac then you shouldn't see any more than the max res of the display.

I have a SW271C and the max res shown on the Mac is 3840 x 2160 which matches the max res of the display.

Is the App actually called Switchres as I can't seem to find it in the App Store? Nothing new there though... just another grey hair day :)

It looks like you need to download it from the Switchres website.

The Max Res of the PD2705U is 3840 x 2160 so I don't know what you are seeing but it won't be native.
If the screen has been detected correctly by the Mac then you shouldn't see any more than the max res of the display.

I have a SW271C and the max res shown on the Mac is 3840 x 2160 which matches the max res of the display.

Mine is also a PD2705U. When I set the display resolution to 3840 x 2160 in systems settings, everything is far too small. I cannot find a solution other than reduce the resolution.

Mine is also a PD2705U. When I set the display resolution to 3840 x 2160 in systems settings, everything is far too small. I cannot find a solution other than reduce the resolution.
It is because the PPI of the monitor is about 130, Apple displays like to use around 110 or 220 for retina displays, this might explain better LINKY

I do realise that and that's going to be normal for a high res display. I was referring to one of your earlier posts that said you had the resolution set to 5120x2880 which shouldn't be possible for your display and shouldn't even appear as an option on the Mac.

The only solution is to reduce the resolution on the Mac. Again that's normal and most people probably do the same. That's what I do.

It's not a Mac specific issue, Windows UI will also appear very small on a high res display at the native resolution. Even Apple iMacs with built in 5k displays do not display the UI at the full 5k native resolution by default.

Last edited:
Back