Mac Woes ?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had a call from the Mrs, she's booted up the Mac and there's nothing on the screen.... It's powered up as the remote drive has activated (only does this when it has power via the USB port).

Now, how do you "hard reboot" an Imac ? I don't really like switching it off at the mains but she says the "on" switch on the back doesn't make any difference....

Can't do anything 'till I get home this evening anyway.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Steve

Press and hold the on switch for 5 ish seconds and it'll shut down.

Start it back up again, but disconnect all connected devices - just sometimes (mostly older) macs can be fussy if USB devices are connected when they boot.

Cheers,
James

:agree:

The Mac is probably looking for bootable drives and may be hanging on the USB external drive.

Disconnecting the USB drive will force it to launch from the internal drive when you reboot.

I agree disconnecting from the mains is not a good idea but sometimes when all else fails it's the only alternative

Well I got home, held the button in for 5 secs then started it up again and it's fine. Thanks for the advice, and I reckon it's just my Mrs' fault, and I've banned her from the Mac in future :LOL:

Steve

Reboot cures 99% of computer problems...usually

Back