Mac Workflow help

Name
Neal
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all. I have been editing on a Windows laptop since starting photography. Currently when I transfer images from SD card to the laptop I create a folder on my second internal drive, then open light room and import images for editing. Once edited I export only what is needed and backup separately on an external hdd based at home. However my questions lie when using a macbook. I am looking to change from windows to apple because of now starting to do some video edits. However it will be a used mac and budget will most probably only allow a 256 or 512 gb hdd. As macbooks only have the one internal drive what is the best way to copy across the raw images from card to then be used in light room. I won't always be at home editing to use an external drive for this. Has anyone got any ideas about what to do? What do you guys do that use macs? For reference my laptop has a 256 system drive and a 1tb secondary drive that is about 60% full with raw images from last 2 years. I like to keep them incase anyone wants a re edit or further edit.
Tha is in advance all

Or you could copy the card contents to a cloud storage virtual drive such as iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive or others, then import to LR from there. A bit slower admittedly but secure.

My issue is not having a secondary hdd built in as a raw storage drive. My raw files would fill a 256gb or 512gb hdd in no time.

Hey all. I have been editing on a Windows laptop since starting photography. Currently when I transfer images from SD card to the laptop I create a folder on my second internal drive, then open light room and import images for editing. Once edited I export only what is needed and backup separately on an external hdd based at home. However my questions lie when using a macbook. I am looking to change from windows to apple because of now starting to do some video edits. However it will be a used mac and budget will most probably only allow a 256 or 512 gb hdd. As macbooks only have the one internal drive what is the best way to copy across the raw images from card to then be used in light room. I won't always be at home editing to use an external drive for this. Has anyone got any ideas about what to do? What do you guys do that use macs? For reference my laptop has a 256 system drive and a 1tb secondary drive that is about 60% full with raw images from last 2 years. I like to keep them incase anyone wants a re edit or further edit.
Tha is in advance all

I use a MacBook Pro with an external HD attached on which I store all my photographs. The process is very simple.

Open Lightroom.
Insert the memory card into the card reader and the Lightroom import window will automatically open.
Click on import.
Lightroom will automatically create a dated folder on the external HD to which the photographs are automatically added.

If you don’t have an external HD with you then just import onto the Macs HD, you can always move the folders onto an external HD a later date.

iCloud 50Gb £2.99/month

I use a MacBook Pro with an external HD attached on which I store all my photographs. The process is very simple.

Open Lightroom.
Insert the memory card into the card reader and the Lightroom import window will automatically open.
Click on import.
Lightroom will automatically create a dated folder on the external HD to which the photographs are automatically added.

If you don’t have an external HD with you then just import onto the Macs HD, you can always move the folders onto an external HD a later date.
If I move the folder from internal hdd to external hdd would it still keep edits of the images in light room?

when I used both a MacBook and iMac I used to have an external hard drive for that years RAWs and LR catalogue. That way I could swap easily between MacBook and iMac.

I now only have a MacBook with a 1TB drive. I now keep this years RAWs and LR catalogue on the mackbook hard drive. older years are kept on an external drive.

If I move the folder from internal hdd to external hdd would it still keep edits of the images in light room?
its preferable to move them within Lightroom but I think it’s possible to move manually and relink them In lightroom.

Last edited:
Back