Critique Macau, China

Name
RJ
Edit My Images
No
Howdy,

Here is a selection of photos from the few days we were in Macau during our honeymoon in China. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

For me the last one is the best one, number 3 shows some promise but needs straightening and would like to see more of door on the left or crop to the middle (of these doors).

For me the last one is the best one, number 3 shows some promise but needs straightening and would like to see more of door on the left or crop to the middle (of these doors).

Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

An interesting point about the middle of the door in photo 3. I'm not keen on cropping in post or straying from the square format, so I'd plan to leave it in this instance, but I'll keep that in mind when I'm composing similar shots in the future.

Regarding the straightening, this building was quite wonky and I was trying to capture that and its unique colours. If you look at the window sill and the top of the door frame, you'll see that they are nearly perfectly horizontal. If I try to rotate the photo so that the majority of vertical lines are perfectly vertical (they're not all parallel), the horizontal lines become very angled. In the end, the features of the building aren't straight, so I decided against trying to straighten everything and went with how I shot it in camera.

Regarding the straightening, this building was quite wonky

I see what you are saying but with such a tight crop this is not apparent without the explanation, it just looks wonky.

I see what you are saying but with such a tight crop this is not apparent without the explanation, it just looks wonky.

Well, in this instance, there's not really much I can do. It's a wonky building, so this photo is always going to have some degree of wonkiness.

Could I have stepped back or included some straight or level frame of reference? Maybe. I did, however, consider a few different compositions at the time and ultimately decided on this one which emphasised the window and bright colours.

Anyway, it's something to think about going forward.

Thanks for the comments.

Back