MacBook help

Edit My Images
Yes
Am having a few problems with my Macbook today, when starting up the screen isn't on and all I can hear is the whine from the cd drive like it's trying to read a cd but there isn't one in it! Have tried rebooting it which worked once and it turned on ok for about 5mins then it freezes with a message on the screen saying it needs rebooting and I'm back to square one!

Any ideas?

Am having a few problems with my Macbook today, when starting up the screen isn't on and all I can hear is the whine from the cd drive like it's trying to read a cd but there isn't one in it! Have tried rebooting it which worked once and it turned on ok for about 5mins then it freezes with a message on the screen saying it needs rebooting and I'm back to square one!

Any ideas?

Have you got any devices plugged in? (External drives, tablets etc) If so, remove any USB connections.

Try booting into "safe mode" to see if makes any difference. hold down the shift key whilst booting, release after the apple image appears. May take a few minutes to start up.

Sounds though as the computer is looking for a drive to boot from. Can't find an OS on the HD so it's looking for a CD. If the safe mode option fails, insert your system disk and boot from that. Booting from the CD should enable you to access Disk Utility app. Get that to scan the HD to see if there are any problems.

You might also like to check out

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2570

Back