Mach loop advice please

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I've seen some great shots on here from the mach loop so fancy giving it a try, biggest lens I have is an 18-200 vr Nikon.
Where would be the best viewing spot be for me? I don't mind a bit of a climb away from a car park and advice on best time/day would help although I realise it's a bit hit and miss.
Thanks
Speedy

Hi Steve.
You would get away with 200mm at Cadwest. The problem is that the 18-200mm isn't a particularly fast lens.
You get varying light at Cad. Bright area's and shadows against the cliff face. It's usually best in the afternoon. But go early and have a day up there anyway. You will love it!
You aren't guaranteed to see anything. But when you do, what a buzz!
Please may sure you go up with correct clothing/footwear mate. It gets bleak up there and I've had snow in October up there. The wind is harsh. Don't underestimate the weather in that area. It will bite your head off if you do.
Have a great time. I'm jealous. I can't get back there until June.

Kev.

i`m up either wednesday or friday,all weather permitting

been to cad west today. cold, frosty , but the light was amazing up till mid afternoon,
it was cold and got colder as the wind got up a bit. and there is snow on some of the neighbouring peaks
and what a day we had
harrier harrier and more harriers, i think we had around 8 within 40 mins
coming through in pairs. and also 3 together
along with quite a few hawks and an hurc
i was using the 100-400. mostly at 400 but sometime had to pull back a bit
that was on a 5d full frame as well, so with a crop body and a 200 mm lens thats around 350mm
take more stuff than you need, ie: warm clothes, waterproofs, and a fold up chair comes in handy as well as a large brolly. hats gloves, loads of food, and i always take a thermos cup and 2 flasks,
you may not get a lot of traffic through, but its great to get up there, and there is always a great set of people who always make you feel welcome, i always meet someone new
go for it, you wont regret it

Thanks guys,
Hoping to get there Friday lunchtime, staying over till Sunday.Weather forecast looks good for Friday/Saturday at the moment. Might see you there Rob.
Looks like I may need another lens if I get the bug!

steve not sure if you know but theres no flying over the weekends.

Cheers Rob I didn't know that.
May go down Thursday night now and be there early Friday.

lights bad on cad though early.i personally prefer the climb at the bwlch to cad west

No flying at weekends and can be a bit slow on Fridays. But having said that, I've seen F15's through Cad on a friday afternoon at 5.0ppm in June!

Kev.

Last edited:
isn't cottesmore closed fridays so no harriers? may be wrong?!!

Not as far as I know. I've shot there on a Friday before. I stand to be corrected though. It may have been the case since it's closure was announced. :shrug:

Kev.

Definitely either Cad West or the bottom shelf of Bwlch with a 200mm lens. Like everyone has said, take loads of warm clothes as you'll need them! Plenty of food and a hot drink and make sure you have some decent footwear if you're going to Bwlch. It gets pretty wet at the bottom and it's no fun sitting on the side of a hill all day with freezing cold wet feet. Been there, done that. :bonk:

If you're going to Bwlch, you'll probably need to get there for around 8am to get a space in the carpark (and don't block the farmers gate ;)) At Cad, the carpark's much bigger so there's normally plenty of room.

It's always hit and miss with the traffic going through but I've always found Fridays a little slower. The RAF wind down for the weekend early I reckon. :)

Get out there and enjoy it. You'll meet some great people on the hills and they're always very friendly and helpful. One of the first days I spent up there I was lent a Canon 300mm prime for the day by one of the guys and we've remained friends ever since. (y)

Check the weather forecast before you go as you won't see much if is p*ssing it down all day.

Good luck.

Gareth

RAF Cottesmore Opening Time 01/11/10 to 31/12/2010

Mon - 08:30 to 17:30
Tue - 08:30 to 17:30
Wed - 08:30 to 17:30
Thu - 08:30 to 17:30
Fri - Closed

RAF Cottesmore Notes - The V.A.S is now CLOSED and is no longer manned.

RAF Wittering Opening Time 01/11/10 to 31/12/2010

Mon - 09:30 to 18:00
Tue - 09:30 to 18:00
Wed - 09:30 to 18:00
Thu - 09:30 to 18:00
Fri - Closed

Charlie

ive had 2 quiet fridays, although about 3 weeks ago after getting soaked on cad
and having seen only 2 hurcs and an hawk. we made our way back down, 20yrds from the car and 2 x f15s screamed over the top of us, they seem to turn up later

Back