macro advice please !!

J

johnny diamond

hi folks !!
having just returned to photography after many years and having a mutual fascination with the very small as your good selves, thought it best to ask for your help to get me started,
i have purchased a d90 camara and sigma 105 lens a light tent and a couple of light units
a sturdy low ride tripod, but no flash as yet as i havent decided which path to follow with regard to onboard lighting, my questions are as follow....
1... do i allow the d90 to control/assist me IE:- autofocus/ auto ISO/ & f settings
2... do i use any or non of the above ??
3... do i work in raw only....prior to processing ??
4... is there a common/well adapted set of settings known to you folks what you might call a good ground base to work from ??
5 what would be the BEST way to increase the magnification of the sigma 105 (adapter/lens addition ) ?? any advce is always appreciated cheers, J.

like you, i've been on a journey, and finally found my new passion.

with my 50d i love macros, using the tripod, (depending on where you are) set to av and manual focus. unless you have a ring flash i wouldn't bother.

initially i tried macro with my kit lens and soon got bored, so i purchased a tamron 90 and the flame was re lit' .........

wasp.jpg

inside a wasp nest.

goldspiderbeetle.jpg

a spider beetle on a 5p piece.

Last edited:
Personally - full manual camera set to f11-f16 / 1/160 iso200 to start and a flash set to auto , then change iso if needed, wind out the lens to closest focus (maximum magnification) and focus by moving the camera forwards / backwards. Extension tubes (fully auto kenko) will increase your magnification without any =effect on IQ as theres no glass.

:D had a little chuckle when i spotted your post,ive been in the kitchen this morning with the ant powder,got a mini invasion going on.....due to warmer weather no doubt :)
nice shots by the way mate!
im just trying to find as much info as poss before i spend any more crinkly stuff lol!!

thanks for the info paul, need to find something in my settings as although i appear to have set all to manual it wont allow me to use the f settings, just comes up with the f ee error and wont allow the picture to be taken !!
no doubt it will be some newbie related cock up ;)

thanks for the info paul, need to find something in my settings as although i appear to have set all to manual it wont allow me to use the f settings, just comes up with the f ee error and wont allow the picture to be taken !!
no doubt it will be some newbie related cock up ;)

use the body to set the aperture, and set the lens aperture ring to the setting where it locks - i think its orange in colour but cant remember the number.

thanks again paul, new it would be simple.....i had tried to set on the stop ring :LOL:
Kenko DG Teleplus Extension Tube Set £98 ???
have u used these/ are they worth it ??....is there an distinct advantage ??

I've used them on both Canon & Nickon, they don't have to be Kenko any AUTO tube will work and give you around 2:1 magnification but you will need a flash.the cheap ebay tubes are a pain to use as you lose aperture control from the body, so you need wide open to focus then manually step down prior to shooting - without loseing focus or you subject doing a runner.

again thanks paul, im afraid im one of those guys who tries all expensive options before sitting down and learning the skills, i will try harder to master the craft first cheers.

Back