Macro Cliché

Edit My Images
No
50.jpg

Exif embedded, if you want to look.

me said:
I realise this is the first thing everybody does when they start playing with macro but I figured that as long as I don't repeat myself within the blog then it's fair game.

If you hadn't already guessed, it's a droplet of water on the optical surface of a CD. This was the second attempt after I managed to smear my greasy fingers over the target area on the first attempt.

I haven't had to do very much to it really. I did do a bit of cloning work, partly due to a slightly dirty sensor and partly due to macro shots showing dust/dirt far more clearly than normal shots. I also had to do the sharpening selectively as the long exposure time introduced a bit of noise which started to get more obvious after unsharp mask was applied.

Is that ebay listings refracted in the drop? :)

It's working for me.

Jamey I like what you have done here, the focus is great and the composition simple and effective but I think it would have been a much better image if you had managed to get the colours of the cd running across all the surface, as it is at the moment the whole bottom third of your picture is just a greeny/gray which makes this shot weaker than the many I have seen photographed by other people.

Very nice fingerz, Steve has a few simlar shots in his gallery as have I, i used a dvd and a dark room!

Cheers lads.

I'm sure there are any number of ways I could improve upon it and maybe I'll give them a go. My shutter speeds were already at the 30" mark so if the room had been any darker I'dve been into bulb territory. Although that's mainly down to my decision to stick to ISO 100 and get maximum depth of field.

There's no real sense of scale in the image but that drop is really tiny compared to the shots in Steve's gallery. I should probably try using more water than that at some point. Anyway cheers for the comments.

Back