Macro coin and carabiner

Edit My Images
No
These are a couple of my attempts at macro.

They were taken on a canon 350D with a Cosina 100mm macro lens with matched 1:1 magnifier (that came with the lens) screwed to the end. Lit with a torch.

They have come out how I was trying to get them, detail in the metal.

I've run them through photoshop which I have only just got so lack knowledge in. I've sharpened them, upped the contrast and messed around with the curve (I think).

I'd like some crit on how they could be improved, if they're of any interest at all and if the post processing may be too much... from anyone who has an opinion.

£5 coin macro by JB Stills, on Flickr

carabiner macro by JB Stills, on Flickr

I've sharpened them, upped the contrast and messed around with the curve (I think).

They look as if they could stand a little more sharpening to me. Did you PP them in that order?

You should always sharpen last.
Otherwise a good effort!

They look as if they could stand a little more sharpening to me. Did you PP them in that order?

You should always sharpen last.
Otherwise a good effort!

I'm Not 100% sure what I did to them... I'm new to photoshop so still learning the ropes with it.

The most they will have had is the single sharpen in filters. I shall bear in mind the sharpening last as I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

I'm Not 100% sure what I did to them... I'm new to photoshop so still learning the ropes with it.

The most they will have had is the single sharpen in filters. I shall bear in mind the sharpening last as I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

(y) Also try the unsharp mask, better in my opinion!

Does the unsharp mask sharpen or unsharpen... now I am confused!!

HaHa! Yeh it does sound confusing! it does actually sharpen the image, but needs to be used sparingly! It adds a gaussian blur to a copy of the image, compares the two, then alters accordingly. I generally use a very small ammount ie: Radius 5.0 Amount 0.50 Threshold 0.0. This is in Gimp, by the way. Then up or down accordingly.
Have a read of THIS, It explains it better than I can!

I found the unsharp mask and gave it a go with this image...

aperture by JB Stills, on Flickr

Thanks for the tips and link... it sounds incredibly complicated the old fashioned way... far easier nowadays with the click of a few buttons!!!

Thanks again for the help Barry.

Looks OK to me! If you are after detail in the metal you have it!
What are the 3 bright spots though?
DOF must be VERY narrow with that setup!

What are the 3 bright spots though?
DOF must be VERY narrow with that setup!

The spots are the reflection of the torch in the glass of the lens.

The aperture was set at 3.5 (wide open on this lens) but the lens has a magnifier screwed to the end of it which seems to make the depth of field incredibly narrow.

The spots are the reflection of the torch in the glass of the lens.

The aperture was set at 3.5 (wide open on this lens) but the lens has a magnifier screwed to the end of it which seems to make the depth of field incredibly narrow.

Should be able to cure that by moving the torch more to one side. (y)

Back