Macro d80 lenses

Edit My Images
No
I'm soon to get my first Digital slr and feel the Nikon D80 is right for me, although i wouldnt say no to a d200 haha. Anyway macro will be one of my main functions as reptiles and insects will be my main subjects. The two lenses ive short listed are:

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

Nikon AF-S VR 105mm (Micro-Nikkor) f/2.8G IF-ED

I just wondered which you guys would prefer. I think the Nikon lens is much better but has a much higher price tag

Sigma 150mm f2.8, gives you a better working distance and the front does not rotate like the 105mm.

Don't rule out the tamron 90mm di..I shoot mainly reptiles and amphibians with it and it is an awesome piece of glass..IMO better than the sigma 105mm which I owned previously.

Sigma 150mm f2.8, gives you a better working distance and the front does not rotate like the 105mm.

The barrel doesn't rotate but it does extend which can be a bit of a pain if photographing insects. The Tamron is always highly reviewed and am seriously considering swapping to it myself as it also doubles up as a great portrait lens.

I got my 1st macro lens at the back end of summer, Nikon 105mm f2.8 vr, I use this with my D80 and its a superb lens, if I need any more reach I combine it with a 1.4 x converter and it still performs very well.

Dean

I have the 105mm Sigma and love it. Though there is a small part of me that kinda wishes I had saved and got the Sigma 150mm. HSM for macro really is a wonderfull thing, specially once you have used the 105 and seen that it takes ages to focus! Though, that being my only issue with the 105, because in terms of IQ it's fantastic!

Dan,

even though I have a D200 for sale, conventional wisdom says spend a little less on the camera (a D80) and go for the best glass you can afford. Although I don't have one myself, the nikon 105 VR has always had rave reviews.

I was just wondering if anyone could post some good sample pics, a picture tells a 1000 words haha. Im still undecided between tamron,sigma and nikon >_<

Cheers Dan

The barrel doesn't rotate but it does extend which can be a bit of a pain if photographing insects. The Tamron is always highly reviewed and am seriously considering swapping to it myself as it also doubles up as a great portrait lens.

The Sigma 150mm F2.8 does not extend.

The 105mm does.

To be entirely honest, vr is all bar useless on a macro lens.
The closer you get to 1:1 the less effective vr becomes.
Given you will probably be working at close to 1:1 most of the time, you should not make your decision based on hand hold ability.
Talking in terms of final image quality, the only lens that parallels the nikon is the canon and that's not gonna cut the mustard on a nikon body.
Anything over 100 mm is going to be a pig to hand hold so, it comes down to three, the sigma, tamron or nikon.
Looks like a price driven option between these.

Most people on fred miranda rate the tamron as the best 'bang for buck' macro lens, and those that have upgraded to the nikon 105VR afterwards have said they have actually 'lost sharpness' although VR is very helpful for portraits shot and the bokeh is meant to be really nice. This is also one of the Tamron 90mm SP Di strengths too though. The front element doesn't rotate but does extend.

I'd check pbase and fredmiranda if I were you. Also search flickr. :)

i dunno, call it label snobbery but i dont think i could put an independent named lens into my bag.

its got to be nikon for me..

although middle of last year i was looking into the sigma range,

the 50-500 and the 150mm macro.

but im going to get the 105mm VR from nikons offering.

you dont buy a BMW and put a Ford engine in, just because it may have more power?.

just my opinion...

:nikon:

Back