Macro flash bracket - another solution

Edit My Images
Yes
I did a lot of searching on here and other forums for brackets. Most of them seemed to have their limitations. Then I came across a ball and socket type set up that looked good. Further searching came up with a company called Ram Mount. I have no connection with this company other than I have bought a few bits from them and they are just the job.

The set up,

flash-b-2.jpg

The individual parts,

flash-brackets-bits.jpg

Their website is not the easiest to get around. So here is a list of the parts.
Top left is, b-237-u. This will screw into any camera or flash fitting using a 1/4" x 20 thread.
Right, b-210-a, double socket arm. This one is 2 3/8" long
Bottom, b-337u, ball with 1/4" x 20 threaded hole. The bracket this is attached to is a Wimberley M-1 Quick Release Arm Module. I already had this, it was quite expensive but very well made. This will fit onto any compatable quick release camera or lens plate.
The lens I use is a Sigma 150mm with a Kirk LP-1 plate. Even with the lens mounted on a ball head there is enough room to fit this bracket as it is only about 19mm wide.
There are many different ways to use these parts. You could for instance buy two of the ball and stud fittings and screw one into the lens foot and just rotate the collar when you are not using a tripod.

This is how I use mine,

flash-b-3-1.jpg

Its not apparent form the above photos but the balls are rubber and 1" diameter. When they are positioned and tightened up in the socket arm, they do not move.
If you want a longer set up you can join two of these socket arms together with a double ball bit, b-230u.

The 1/4" x 20 is the standard size fitting for most cameras. This is actually a 1/4" BSW thread, British Standard Whitworth. They are easily available from any good supplier and are the standard thread size for holding engine covers on old British motor bikes.

The website is ram-mount .co.uk

Mick.

I was just about to ask the same question :LOL:

Les (y)

Cliff and Lez, a few photos for you.

The first two are set up off the lens plate

flash-setup-2.jpg

flash-setup-1.jpg

These two are attached to the camera L bracket, so you can wander about with the set up

flash-setup-4.jpg

flash-setup-5.jpg

The biggest advantage of using these parts is that you can add bits as you need them. Also most flash brackets rely on having a small ball head to be able to position the flash, not this one.

Mick.

Now that I like ;)

Must look into geting one myself

Thank you for sharing (y)

Les :D

Back