Macro flash brackets and twin sync cords?

Messiah Khan

Santa is your dad
Name
Alasdair Fowler
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone kbow of any hidden secrets when it comes to macro flash brackets? Im after one to mount 1 or 2 (Most likely 2) SB600s. Ideally I want it to be as small and light weight as possible. So far the Kirk FB-10 is looking the most promising, but I wondered if there were similar setups out there for cheaper especially when you factor in the Kirk lens plate etc. Or are there any decent guides to making your own (Im happy spending decent money on glass and tripods etc, but £100 odd quid for a metal bracket... hmm, maybe not)?

Im also after some sort of dual flash sync cord for Nikon cameras, allowing me to retain TTL metering, anyone know if they exist and where I can get one?

If I can get the sync chord im half tempted to simply strap the 2 SB600s to the side of the Sigma 150mm using ball bungees to create a sort of ringflash without the ring (If that makes sense).

I can't help with the bracket I'm afraid but why do you want to use a dual flash sync chord (if it even exists? :shrug:) when you can use CLS and do away with sync chords, it is a much easier way of retaining TTL metering.

Because the CLS relies on communicating via the preflash. This is all well and good as long as you have the sensors pointing towards the commander and its not bright daylight. I can certainly try it with the CLS, but I think a sync cord would be more reliable, especially with flashes being mounted next to and even under the lens.

I have managed to use my sb-600 off camera handheld, whilst using CLS, seems to work ok, I think it would be worth giving it a go tbh. The cables are pretty pricey. Not sure if a double one exisits.

I have managed to use my sb-600 off camera handheld, whilst using CLS, seems to work ok, I think it would be worth giving it a go tbh. The cables are pretty pricey. Not sure if a double one exisits.

I'll try, but the problem is if the sensor on the flash is pointing away from the commander.

I don’t know about pricing but as far as flash brackets go Speed Graphic seem to have all one could want, and they are nice people as well!

Thanks for that, looks like a great site. The Novoflex Uniarm and Novoflex XX-Halter both look like the sort of thing im after. Anyone used one of these by any chance?

Back