Critique Macro help required.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I have just had my first go at macro photography.

I’m not 100% happy with my attempt and think it should have gone better so I’m looking for some pointers so I can improve on my second go.

I used a dead Fly that had not survived the heat in the conservatory so please don’t think I killed this fly just for this. I felt using a still subject would be better for my first attempt.

I’m using a Nikon 50mm 1.8D with a reversing ring on a D300.

I’m having all sorts of problems getting the exposure right. If I put the aperture ring on f1.8 I can see the through the view finder great but have very poor DOF. if I turn the aperture to f8 I get a better DOF but it’s hard to see if I have the focus right.

Any tips would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Paul.

Focus stacked 1st attempt.
View attachment 17606

For natural light reversing you will need to learn to focus on out lines I'm afraid... it is possible but this is now my setup for reversing... 18-55mm kit lens

Torch used as a focus light.

Definitely need lots of light :) With a not so good flash and some toilet paper, I can shoot at F11 and it comes out quite nicely on the exposure, though I have to get in nice and close to get the best use out of the light - I think that your first attempt was pretty successful Paul, much better than my first attempt and it will take practice.

Some use AF, I use manual by presetting the focus ring first and then leaning into the image and fire off half dozen to a dozen shots as the slightest movement brings it out of focus.

Dont worry if you have a 90% (or higher) bin rate, as long as you get the one shot you want :) Check out Bryn's (tintin124 above) macro thread for beginners - its a great start :)

You have the equipment, just need to hone your technique - but light was my biggest step forward, once that comes into play, your photographs will be amazing

I'm using a reversing ring so don't have A/F unfortunately.

Only got the camera flash at the moment but i'm looking to get a external flash asap. Any recommendations for the D300??

thanks

Paul

I'm using a reversing ring so don't have A/F unfortunately.

Only got the camera flash at the moment but i'm looking to get a external flash asap. Any recommendations for the D300??

thanks

Paul

Can't go wrong with a yongnuo 560 mk3... cheapish and great quality if they do a nikon mount.

Tintin124 what aperture do your set you lens to?

f11 is my go to setting for all my macro bar the Raynox usage... hence I bought the auto adapter for reversing from SRB photographic but I'm currently having issues with misting/ghosting on my images when using flash :crying: so currently back to having to correctly mount lens if I want to move away from f11

I've used a 50mm reversed on a d300 and frankly your results are better than mine ....
But yes I found f11 the best compromise between not being able to focus and getting dof. I got the impression it goes soft after f11 anyway but that could be my dodgy focussing.

I've used a 50mm reversed on a d300 and frankly your results are better than mine ....
But yes I found f11 the best compromise between not being able to focus and getting dof. I got the impression it goes soft after f11 anyway but that could be my dodgy focussing.

Not experienced softness after f11 but might do... though dont think i have tried reversing my 50mm since the first failed attempt donkeys ago.

Thank you for your comments and recommendations.

I have had another go this time its a single shot not stacked.

I have ordered an external flash as i think the light was playing a big part of my problems. I also have a Raynox 250 on order so i hope my next efforts should be better.

Please ignore the background it was on a glass table.

View attachment 17868

Back