Macro lens for D300

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Looking at all the great shots that have been posted in the Macro section of the forum its given me an itch. This will be a new area for me so I don't know where to start really. Can anyone recommend a good macro lens for a D300, £500 is my limit (unless the wife is in a good mood).

Cheers,

Mark:)

hi markjayne..i'm not very experienced with macro as of yet,but the general concensous is that if your shooting still life,then any macro dedicated lens will do,bearing in mind that the smaller the focal length,the closer you will need to be to the subject to get true 1:1.if you intend to shoot insects and things that can scare easily,then a longer focal length will be better as you can shoot from a distance not to scare your chosen pray...something along the lines of anything between 100mm and 180mm.the longer ones though(150mm and upwards)can become quite heavy to hand hold.my advice would be to go and try in your local jessops or similar before you buy.i can highly recommend the sigma 105 F/2.8 EX DG macro..

sigma do a great range of macro dedicated lens,and well within your price range (y)

Mark, if you can borrow a Canon body (beg/borrow), you can use my sigma 150mm 2.8 Macro, for a few weeks,(Canon are holding my 40D hostage:bang:) to see how you get on, brilliant lens for Macro, or just use as a 150mm prime, gives very good results.

It is one of the few lenses that everyone loves. :clap:

I have the Nikon 105mm and Sigma 150mm and the Sigma is on my camera much more often. You can get it from onestop digital for quite a bit under your budget as well.

Back