Macro Lens for Sony a300-which one?

onikami

Suspended / Banned
Name
Sir Oni
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone know what is the best Macro lens for the Sony a300?

I dont know if a Minolta or Sigma or Tamron would be best?

I dont want to spend too much money, but would like some pointers as to which lens might be the best option?

Cheers.

Asked him twice what lens he is using, but he just ignores the question. Doesnt want to share, it seems :D

Top of his post tells what camera it is. The EXIF data says the lens was used at 7.1mm focal length.

Top of his post tells what camera it is. The EXIF data says the lens was used at 7.1mm focal length.

Ah. I thought he was using a Sony a200 camera and was trying to get the lens make and model from him.

been having this debate with myself the last couple of days as to what to get for my a200, went for the 90mm tamron in the end

i believe there's not a bad macro lens out there,so it's down to how much,and what you want to shoot.if bugs are your goal,then look at lens in the 90-105 range minimum.the larger the focal length,the further the working distance between you and your subject to achieve true 1:1 macro.

i believe there's not a bad macro lens out there,so it's down to how much,and what you want to shoot.if bugs are your goal,then look at lens in the 90-105 range minimum.the larger the focal length,the further the working distance between you and your subject to achieve true 1:1 macro.

Bugs are the main target of my macro dream. On that basis, what would you recommend, personally?

Price would also be an issue for me.

Your cheapest option would be a manual focus M42 screw mount lens with an M42-to-Sony adapter.

Next up would be a manual focus Tamron Adaptall-2 f/2.5 90mm (you wanted a personal recommendation, so have one from me ;)). You'd use this with an M42 Adaptall-2 mount, screwed into the adapter, as above.

Pay more and you can have AF and a lens that you can focus to infinity.

Bugs are the main target of my macro dream. On that basis, what would you recommend, personally?

Price would also be an issue for me.

as cost is an issue,you have several options.....probably the cheapest methods of macro work is to get some macro filters,although i've no experience of these personally.you can purchase some extension tubes,which fit between the body and a lens(something like a 70-300),but get the kenko type where you retain AF and aperture,or get a dedicated macro lens,which will yeald the best results IMO.as said,get something in the 90-105 focal length....anything smaller might spook bugs away,and the price hopefully won't cripple your savings too much.personally,i would recommend the sigma 105 macro...but any of the others will do as good a job (y)

I have the Tamron 90mm and whilst I still haven't quite got to grips with it, it's a very highly praised lens. AF isn't an issue as I've found with macro you tend to just focus the once and move the camera backwards/forwards to suit. Not sure if this influences your decision but thought it was worth mentioning.

Good luck with your purchase (y)

I have the Tamron 90mm and whilst I still haven't quite got to grips with it, it's a very highly praised lens. AF isn't an issue as I've found with macro you tend to just focus the once and move the camera backwards/forwards to suit. Not sure if this influences your decision but thought it was worth mentioning.

Good luck with your purchase (y)

thanks. will look for a cheap price on the tamron

as cost is an issue,you have several options.....probably the cheapest methods of macro work is to get some macro filters,although i've no experience of these personally.you can purchase some extension tubes,which fit between the body and a lens(something like a 70-300),but get the kenko type where you retain AF and aperture,or get a dedicated macro lens,which will yeald the best results IMO.as said,get something in the 90-105 focal length....anything smaller might spook bugs away,and the price hopefully won't cripple your savings too much.personally,i would recommend the sigma 105 macro...but any of the others will do as good a job (y)

thanks. sigma 105 is pricey.

Then again, I think I want something that gets a just a little bit more closer to the bugs.

Then again, I think I want something that gets a just a little bit more closer to the bugs.

It doesn't mean that you can get closer shots of insects, it just means that in order to get the same image with a 50mm lens as with a 90mm lens you have to be physically a lot closer to the insect, thus increasing the chance of scaring it away. Both the 50mm and 90mm will get up to 1:1, but with the 50mm you will have to be closer to the subject in order to achieve it.

HTH

That helps alot. Cheers, chaps.

Looks like might have to look at the tamron 90mm

Back