Macro lens query

Edit My Images
Yes
I enjoy doing macro but my current camera isn't really up to it (Panasonic DMC-FX18 with a set of screw-on close-up filters)
I'm currently deciding on a DLSR and some decent lenses but I need some advice on macro.
With my current equipment I need to get up really close (within a couple of inches) and then the depth of field is so small (a matter of millimetres) that I'm having to resort to focus-stacking software. It's hard work and the results are not brilliant.
Also, although my Panasonic has a 28mm - 504mm zoom lens I find that from a comfortable distance away from the subject (a few feet) it just won't focus at max zoom for a macro shot.
Am I right in thinking that with a decent lens on a DSLR I should be able to do macro shots from a few away?
If so what would I be looking for?
As I say, I've yet to decide on a what new camera I'll get so that should leave the field fairly wide open.

Depends what you want to do, but it's difficult to get 1:1 with a working distance (subject to front of lens distance) of more than 30cm.

The Canon 100mm Macro is very popular - it's minimum working distance is about 15cm.

I use the Sigma 150mm which gives me 20cm

Canon and Tamron have 180mm macro lenses with MWD ~ 25/26cm.

A teleconvertor will increase the minimum working distance for a 1:1 image, but check compatability.

Macro lenses essentially come in 3 focal length ranges, ~50mm, ~90/105mm and ~150/180mm. They should be capable of 1:1 mag., to achieve this the close distance will increase with focal length. So getting close should mean magnification and not working distance. A good general focal length is ~90-100mm for a macro. Avoid the ~50mm lenses as these get too close to the subject. Lenses of 150/180mm is heavy and really designed for timid subjects or those slightly larger. You can alwys increase mag by addiding extension tubes. You are right that dof decreases with magnification and this is no different whether the lens is 50mm or 180mm.

A good DSLR with 100mm macro should see you right.

Unfortunately you will get less DOF with a DSLR than your getting now due to the sensor size. Heres a table with the (MWD) maximum working distance - distance from the end of the lens to the subject.

focusdistance.jpg

What kind of subjects do you want to shoot from a few feet away?

Thinking about this.. well I came up with "The normal progression for macro on DSLRs":
- Buy a 50mm macro lens, then realize it's only 1:2 magnification
- Buy a life-size adapter
- Realize that the working distance on 50mm is way too short, buy a 100/105mm macro
- Wonder how anybody gets anything shot handheld or in focus with 100mm and f/2.8 - buy tripod
- Suffer an aneurysm trying to adjust tripod for focus in a flower bed - buy a focusing rail
- More magnification! Get a set of extension tubes which gets exchanged for a set of bellows later
- Move into a house with a solid concrete floor so that the tripod vibration doesn't show on your 5:1 pics
- Buy a vintage Leica macro lens and adapters. Start wondering why you are locked indoors setting up macro stages and copy stands while the macro subjects are outside in the sun.
- Realize that you actually need more light. Buy a ringflash. Go C.S.I. on bugs and shoot handheld while walking closer to them.
- Switch to Canon and buy a MP-E 65mm :LOL:

I'm still not all the way there! :bonk:

What kind of subjects do you want to shoot from a few feet away?

Thinking about this.. well I came up with "The normal progression for macro on DSLRs":
- Buy a 50mm macro lens, then realize it's only 1:2 magnification
- Buy a life-size adapter
- Realize that the working distance on 50mm is way too short, buy a 100/105mm macro
- Wonder how anybody gets anything shot handheld or in focus with 100mm and f/2.8 - buy tripod
- Suffer an aneurysm trying to adjust tripod for focus in a flower bed - buy a focusing rail
- More magnification! Get a set of extension tubes which gets exchanged for a set of bellows later
- Move into a house with a solid concrete floor so that the tripod vibration doesn't show on your 5:1 pics
- Buy a vintage Leica macro lens and adapters. Start wondering why you are locked indoors setting up macro stages and copy stands while the macro subjects are outside in the sun.
- Realize that you actually need more light. Buy a ringflash. Go C.S.I. on bugs and shoot handheld while walking closer to them.
- Switch to Canon and buy a MP-E 65mm :LOL:

I'm still not all the way there! :bonk:

:cautious: Have you been spying on me :cautious:

Lately, I've been doing lots of flower macros - but to get this close the stigma and anthers are almost touching the lens and as you can see, the depth of focus is only a few millimetres.
These probably border on the extreme but being stictly an amatuer at this I was wondering if a different, better lens would give me more working distance and better depth of focus.
As I mentioned earlier, the DMC-FZ18 has a 28mm - 504mm lens so it appears to cover the ranges mentioned above but without a stack of screw-on close-ups it cannot focus this close.
Will that also be the case with the your recommended lenses?

These, by the way, are just test shots - nothing serious.

P1020567-Edit.jpg

P1020556.jpg

Back